First feed size?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilleni

Reaction score
Im wondering what size food a hatchling carpet could eat for its first meal?

Would it be ok on a pinkie rat?

Pics would be good, of a carpet eating a pinkie rat..

Thanks,

No problems with pinkie rat. I would ask the breeder what he/she was feeding though just in case you need to scent with mouse or chick.

is this out of the egg?? or bought from a breeder??

if from a breeder the go with what olivehydra said, if they are straight out of the egg, then i would start with a pinkie mouse as its there first feed, thats not to say they won't take a pinkie rat.......its all a guessing game at that stage in their life.

i have offered a pinkie mouse to no avail, and want to try a pinkie rat, just wondering if it would be too big?

your going to get different responses then, some ppl go with a pinkie mouse first up, others use pinkie rats first up........then there are those that go straight to rodents with fur already.........

best place to start is offer something, if that doesn't work then try something else..........its the only way you are going to know.

some snakes won't eat certain prey items because they are too big, or too small..........just experiment...........hope it goes well for you, its a pain when you have to try scenting and things like that.

oh and i wouldn't bother trying for at least 10 days after that first shed.............got diamonds due to hatch this week and they won't be offered for at least 10-14days after their first shed.

i know of a breeder who doesn't start offering fro 3mths after their first shed

so some people use rodents with fur for a 1st feed? WOW

So a pinkie rat wont be too big then souly? Thats my main worry, Size..

a pink rat or fuzzy mouse is fine, you will find that if you leave them for at least 2-4 weeks after hatching shed it should eat without a prob. Fed the first clutch of bredli yesterday on fuzzy mice and all but 3 feed instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back