First Feed With Us! Excited Newbie!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KathandStu

Reaction score
Well we just fed Salazar his first fuzzie. I wasn't sure it would fit in his mouth (the fuzzie looks much too big!) but he swallowed it no worries at all! It was incredibe to watch. All that is left now is about a cm of tail sticking out between his lips like a cat that got the canary (if canaries had tails!).

I was walking home this afternoon & walked past a bit of sandstone (about 30cm across, 20cm wide & 7cm high) which had broken off a small retaining wall next to a footpath. I decided to bring it home for Zar's big enclosure (when we eventually get it).

I hope sandstone is ok for him to use as a shedding aid when the time comes? I just couldn't pass up such a great (free) opportunity! Who knows when I might next walk past a perfect sized piece of sandstone (we do live in the city now after all!)

So I scrubbed it with bleach, rinsed it off really well & have it baking in the oven at 200 degrees for a few hours to kill off any nasty things that might be on it. Will that be effective in sterilizing it?

Regards,

Kathy & Stu

Yes, that should be good enough, be careful taking it out of the oven though.

Congrats on the first feeding, It is exciting isnt it !! The good thing for me is I still get a buzz out of every feed luke has. I love watching him eat !

having your first snake is so exciting i remember when i got mine i didnt want to let go of him and i used to watch him all day and night hehe and im still like that lol.......just a word of warning u are not going to stop at one snake either its like a addiction collecting herps once you start u can not stop ask some of the guys around here they will tell ya..and welcome too :lol:

i just brought a pair of blondes hatchlings this will be my first time for feeding snakes this small tomorrow when i feed the female
i cant wait
did u take any oics of him eating

MrBredli: Yeah there was multiple tea-towels & an oven mitt when removing that hot rock! The sandstone has gone really dark with the heat which makes it look even better. Who knew heat could change rock colour...I wonder if it will change back when it cools?

Staffsrule: Yeah it is exciting. More exciting than I thought it would be actually. I am still trying to get over the way Salazar dislocated his jaw. He made it look easy!

Alby: I think I'll be watching Zar quite a bit the next few days (months, years). Even when he is just snoozing in his hide it is cool to watch him. I have heard that snakes are very addictive & I believe it. I have no doubt I'll get another (though maybe not soon). I have heard that snakes don't live well together (in the same enclosure) so if I got another I'd have to find room for another enclosure (I live in a shoebox sized apartment with a very active/curious/destrutive toddler). I think I would like a big snake that gets wider than Salazar will next time. Thanks for the welcom too.

Shellshock: No I didn't take any picture of him eating. I didn't want to disturb him while he was eating. I might next time though. It look so awsome. I still just can't get over how this slender little snake ate that fuzzie! It wasn't a huge fuzzie or anything but still! Just amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back