first python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geckoboy

Reaction score
hi guys i am getting a beautiful childrens python this is my first python so any tips would be good i am used to lizards so its going to be different i also have the choice of getting a adv juv or a hatchling not sure which is better for first timers thanks :D

getting it like 4 days before she's coming back home with me

preparation

Criticism in 3....2.....1

Firstly get your tank sorted. Tanks too large for a juvi python can scare the S(&% out of them and make them uncomfortable. So a click clack is the best idea (bunnings). Secondly choose your substrate (bark, small rocks, sand-some like/don't like as it can be digested, paper). Next make sure you have your heat mat (best way is inside the tank with a tile over the top-disperses the heat perfectly) and your lights and heat lights if required. Next is correct food size.
I jsut cut the top out of the container and put fly screen there instead. Works well and vents well!

Once you have all that you are ready to go. Typical python tank. Set it up with a cold and hot end. A nice basking end in the heat with a cooler end and hide near the water.

Try aim for 30-32 at the warm end and 26 at the cool end (temps vary per species-look up a fact sheet to confirm).

next prepare for all sorts of posts giving you crap for not researching first etc etc.

Enjoy :) and don't forget pictures.

My first advice is not to rush! Hard I know (im in the same position now) but make sure your tank is set up and running properly b4 getting your python.
Are you aware that juveniles or best kept in a 'click clack'?

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/

juveniles will stress if put straight into a large tank (hence why breeders/shops have them in small click clacks)

My first snake was a Darwin juvenile. I put him straight into a large tank and experienced feeding problems. After returning him to a click clack he came good. Tried again a few weeks later and he was fine.

The best advice for a new snake I think would be:

-leave alone for the first week (as hard as it is).
-offer food after that week (or when due).
-IF feeding try handling for a short period after food is no longer visible or after its past the food item.
-IF still feeding after that your on the right track.

Enjoy :) and don't forget pictures.

Agreed!

Last edited:
can't wait to hold:D.....................must resist :shock: thats what ill be like when i get it i think everyone covered the questions that i couldn't find on the web but..............adv juv or hatchling?

I put my juvi straight into a 1m x 600 x 600. He has 3 hides and is doing fine. He fed two days after I brought him home and haven't had any trouble. I think a bigger enclosure is fine and as long as they have a few hides of varying temps they will feel quite safe. He seems to enjoy exploring the rest of his viv when the sun goes down.

This is just my experience with one python though, so yours may be different.

As for adv juv or hatchling. Handle them and see which one you like ;)

I couldnt resist holding!!! I held every day before I even brought her home and she's very good to handle now (still never bitten me, coming up to two years together now). cuddle cuddle cuddle!

geting python from reptile city not sure if they will let my hold :| so whats the best for beginers

can't wait to hold:D.....................must resist :shock: thats what ill be like when i get it i think everyone covered the questions that i couldn't find on the web but..............adv juv or hatchling?

As said above, all comes down to what you want. Personally I have enjoyed watching my pythons grow. I got them at 8 weeks old. Just make sure they are feeding and shedding and your laughing.

geting python from reptile city not sure if they will let my hold :| so whats the best for beginers

Sounds lame but seriously just pick the snake you feel the strongest towards. I actually thought a few others there were prettier than the one I chose but I've never regretted it.
If you're paying for it you should def be allowed to hold. I'd get a hatchling it's the joy of 'raising' something if that makes sense. And then you can get it used to you.

You are unable to buy from a private breeder? Mate i suggest having alook before rushing into it. Not only will you get a better price but often you will get a better quality python. Try looking in the for sale section for whats available in SA. Also as for the handling etc etc if your new to it a bite from a hatchy is less daunting then a advanced juvi...neither hurts but it comes down to what is intimidating etc etc.

Worth a try finding a local breeer, take the time. I have been to a lot of pet stores and don't think I will ever buy a reptile from one!

ok ill see if they let me hold probs get little hatchling

Reptile City is great. I got my murray darling from them and they let me have a look at them beforehand. They also said that I can bring him in and theyll check him out if I ever have any concerns. The guys know what they are doing and I'd sooner buy off of them than a private breeder. (I promise I wasn't paid to say this :p)

If you're paying for it you should def be allowed to hold.

I agree!!! If your there to BUY and not just there for a geez they should be letting you hold for sure! :facepalm: LOTS of places like that, unfortunately.

Check the feeding logs.. always!

If there is one that you like the look of more get it.

If both as attractive as each other - I would go for the hatchling.

(I promise I wasn't paid to say this :p)
lmao:lol:

um well reptile city does breed all their own pythons and iv'e been 'out the back' were they breed all their reps and it is massive and he even showed me the incabation room were they have all their eggs and baby snakes and he showed me the baby childrens he had and said it would be ready by the time im ready for her and also they do their set-ups their that actually comes with a tank big enough for when its fully grown and the heat pad and thermostat and bulb and stuff.

um well reptile city does breed all their own pythons and iv'e been 'out the back' were they breed all their reps and it is massive and he even showed me the incabation room were they have all their eggs and baby snakes and he showed me the baby childrens he had and said it would be ready by the time im ready for her and also they do their set-ups their that actually comes with a tank big enough for when its fully grown and the heat pad and thermostat and bulb and stuff.

Each to their own. You rarely find that from a reptile store so if your comfortable with that then go for it. 90% of pet stores I have been too the reptiles are underfed and caged in a very basic cage with little or no attention (i realise its hard to maintain everything in a large petstore but reptiles only need to be looked at once a week (changed paper water etc etc).

Good luck buying and hope it all works out!

just wondering, can you guys see my profile pic it should be a close up of a gidgee skink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back