first real DIY

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dangles

Reaction score
so a few months ago a couple of friends asked my wife if we needed an entertainment unit, as soon as my wife asked me i thought enclosure straight away.
Went and picked it up and didnt have the heart to tell them it was getting the chop.

as it had the fold out dvd thing on the right hand side, i got to work with a hammer and knocked that crap outta there along with the fixed shelves.
Cut out holesin the side areas where the tv sits to open it up.
Thought about ripping the bottom doors out and cutting it back until the mrs tells me i should use that as the hide area. A trip to bunnings and some $$$ later i come home with some pine boards, stain/varnish, liquid nails and expanda foam.

First thing was to make a divider to split the enclosure into 2. with screaming kids in one ear and the mrs in the other, i buggered up with one of the cuts, but managed to use that piece for the bottom hide area
Once sorted i glued/nailed the main divider in place and set to work on the hide divider. The piece i stuffed up on earlier was actually the right size for one of the pieces in the bottom so i won there. After this was done, i stained the raw pine to seal it. Once this was dry i installed the Halogen downlights with fire rated shields around them into the shelf.

Now the part of making the rockwall begun. Went to hardly normal and scavenged through their poly bin for sheets of polystyrene( about 4mm thick,they use it in boxes for fridges,washing machine etc) and chunky blocks. Liquid nailed the sheets on the randomly cut diff blocks off and glued them on as well. Done the whole 5 coats of render and painted. Tried the dry brushing technique ive read on but i think i need more practice. This is the end result on one side.

entrance to hide
basking shelf

gonna use sliding glass on the front once i get the other side finished

pleased with it so far, now need to find a nice branch to put in there and to recess the water bowl into the floor under the basking shelf

Sounds great but I must admit some bigger pics would be nice... Good on you for getting stuck in it certainly sounds well thought out and like a great habitat.

Oooops sorry didn't hover over them to realise they would link... my bad.

Looks even better now that I could do that. :)

hard to say sax, 30 mins here an hour there, bit more work whilst defrosting mice etc but probably 5-7 hrs at this point and a bottle or 2 of bourbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back