Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entoalexa

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, thinking of starting out with a snake. What would you recommend that is not aggressive and skittish and wont mind being handled on occasion. I was something that is also pleasant on the eyes, so bright colour/nice markings. Not too large but small like a coral snake or something.
Im not an idiot so i wouldn't say i need a total 'beginners' snake :)

all suggestions welcome!

Children's python or similar, however when young they can be a bit bitey

A spotted or stimpsons python would be a great starter python, these guys stay reasonably small are feeding costs arent normally to bad.

Rick

I think the popular snakes for beginners are as stated children's, spotted and there is nothing wrong with those choices but personally I found that even though they are good starter snakes there is a lot of others that are good starter snakes so maybe look around at what sort you really like the look of and that suits your enclosure size and what you want out of a snake. Once you have done that research as much as you about that species and go for it.

Can't think of any small pythons the size of a coral snake except children's and similar, you could go a GTP but there not a beginners snake, white lipped pythons are fantastic beginners species but do grow to 2meters so are a little large although mine are no where near that size staying around 130cm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back