First time breeding coastal carpets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney

Reaction score
When the best time to introduce the male to the female
i.e. pair em up !

Should I feed them first ?

Heat them up a few days before chucking them together. The male will probably refuse food. Put them together for a week or two, seperate them and feed the girl, when she has digested, put them together...repeat.

I would put them together now, even if you dont raise the temperature. I have introduced them during their cooling period and they have began mating immediately. I agree with sxereturn, give them a week to see what happens, seperate them so the female can have a meal and then pair them up again. If the male is interested in mating he will refuse food.

Thanks for the advice I have paired them no interest at first but soon changed but a week later lost interest just seperated them
Will offer them both food and see wat happens

wow barney i just noticed when u joined. thats AGGEEEESSS ago, where have u been?

My coastals are doing diddly squat atm and that is with 2 males in there. They are all just happy basking under the heat and all sleeping in the hide box. Talk about frustrating....LOL

Just seperated my coastals after some mating activity
the male started to come up for shed
and the female felling out
comes in the morning gets under the heat lamp as close she can get and stays there all day
Should I offer food to either of them ?

I usually feed my female carpet between cooling and egg laying, although it's not necessary.

Is it just me or is the timing of this season a bit weird? Some people are just sticking there snakes together for mating now, but some of the earlier breeding species have already laid! I got maccies last night and bigguy got olives last month! I saw a friend's jungle carpet ovulate last week, which seems a bit early to me (really awesome to see!).

Hugsta: I know what you mean, my bredli are really $#itting me!

I took the idea of offering both a meal the male wasnt interested as he was well on the way for a shed
The female took it
Is this any indication whether they mated or not re feeding
The female was putting size b4 eating quite noticeable
I thinking I should of weighed her to help me in this
being a novice at breeding !

Any suggestions or advice
Thanks

Barney

My females will eat throughout mating, all the way up until they have fully developed eggs inside them, however i try to keep all meals small. They will even feed for me the day they have laid eggs, once i have taken the eggs from them. Even females that i have left on the eggs for maternal incubation have eaten while remaining coiled round the eggs.
If your female wants to continue feeding, let her. The male will most likely start feeding when the female rejects him completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back