Fish People, Please Help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aoife

Reaction score
hey, i have a tropical fish tank set up that has been up and running for moths now. i havn't introduced any new fish. the other day i was checking them out and i noticed that my yellow angel fish has some red around her nose and other areas. this is also on some of my other fish. also i can't remember what kind of fish they are but i have 2 of them and they both have grey circles like indentations on them. it's very strange.

i am getting the water tested tonight to see whats going on. just thought someone might know and give me a heads up on what they think is happening.

Love the title - I have this image of you begging for help from a "Creature from the Black Lagoon"-type half-human half-fish...

Sorry, can't help with the query...

There are plenty of multi fix medications out there that are a when in doubt solution, will look through books for you when i get home though sound similar to somethign we had, will get back to you. How ever test water and adjust acordingly, try a multi fix or fungus medication, fungus problems are normally caused by bad water quality, bad water quality is normally cause by over feeding or using a cheap food. only feed enough that they will eat in a few minutes use good quality fish food we use HBH tropical colour all natural and fish seem to love it, feed less and more time per day if possible (we only feed twice).
Will look through books to see if i can get a better educated guess at what is wrong.

Twin_Rivers
hmm... i do feed a good quality fish food but i think i may actually be over feeding. eeekk! i will also let you know how the water results go.

thanks for your help

Get the water results and i will be able to help you.

The red around the mouth of the fish is the first stages on fungus brought on by stress. There are many reasons why a fish stresses out but they are mainly to do with water quality which can be casued by a number of things and not just food.

If you water qualoty is low, say a low ph then the acidity in the water burns the slime coating off your fish and leaves your fish open for fungal infections.

Cameron

How big is your tank
How many fish do you have and what are they if you know the name if not just the number and size of the unknown fish
When did you last clean the tank? - how did you do this?
Is this the fist time keeping fish?
When you first set the tank up how long was it before you added the fish
if you believe you may be over feeding is there any left over food in the tank
It could be cause by an ammonia spike if the tank didn't cycle properly at the start

most likely a result of ammonia or acidity problems. get tested and adjust if need be. if you're only new to fish keeping you may be making a common but simple mistake. general maintanence is a simple 20% gravel vac, if you're are cleaning the filter then do so in the water you have removed from the aquarim NOT TAP WATER, the chlorine in tap water with kill the good bacteria which breaks down the waste, once filter is clean (which should only be cleaned when required and not every week, depends on the type of filter and whats in the tank etc) top up tank with TREATED water, hence add your water conditioner to the new water befor adding it to the tank. Simply put if you wash anything in the tank in tap water or ever add untreated (with chlorine) water to the tank, you will kill some if not alot of the good bacteria, tank usually can go abit cloudy after this but the problems start a couple of days later once the amonia and nitrites start to build up, essentially your water goes bad and the fish can die. in some cases small increases in ammonia levels which can result from a loss r lack of bacteria will burn the fish resulting in red spots also the tails may begin to burn. acid watercan do the same, both acidity and ammonia are a problem from overfeeding aswell.
imo use prime for our water conditioner (removes chlorine, chloramone, ammonia and detoxifies nitrites and nitrates) and i use stability for my biobooster its a little more concentrated in an established tank hence you dont use as much. both are made by seachem.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back