flicking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This is probably a really stupid and obvious question but i have never been able to find out the answer---Why do snakes always flick their tongues?

"Tasting" the air. They pick up scent particles on their tongue, and bring it back into their mouth, where it comes into contact with a thing called the Jacobson's Organ. It's very sensitive, I believe it can detect 1 part per million? It's like us smelling stuff, but more refined. And the reason their tongue is forked, is the same reason why we have 2 ears, so they can pick up what direction the smell is coming from.

I haven't heard that bit about the direction sensing before sxereturn. I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Um...no it's not. It's the same as us having two ears. When a noise is made, we hear it first with on ear, and second with the other. This gives us an indication of where the sound came from. It's the same with forked tongues.

Sxereturn,
we also have two eyes, two nostrils, two cerebral hemispheres. It's because symmetry in nature is more advantageous than asymmetry. And as scent particles can be blown around in circles by the wind, I think that directional theories are just theories at this stage. Why do varanids have forked tongues?

That's a pretty interesting theory sxereturn. Where'd you get your info from?

quote from pythons of australia by geordie torr:
"The tongue collects scent particles, either from the air or the ground, and transfers them to a pair of sense organs called Jacobson's organs via openings in the roof of the mouth. These organs are lined with olfactory cells similar to those found in the nose. Because the tongue is forked and the Jacobson's organs are paired, it is possible for the snake to determine the direction from which a scent originates, helping it orientate itself towards its prey"

The Mertens Water monitor can use its Jacobsens Organ under water!!!!!!!!!!!

lol thankyou. i knew i had read it somewhere :lol:

Hix comment;
Sxereturn,
we also have two eyes, two nostrils, two cerebral hemispheres. It's because symmetry in nature is more advantageous than asymmetry

My opinion to this is:
I only know that is prety hard to determinate distance with one eye only. That is why people have 2 eyes. Just try to close one and you will see the difference.
I was told this by my teacher in school 35 years ago, and I must say that he have point .
Each eye looks at different angle and that gives you 3 dimentional picture.
I understand that 3d cameras work on same principal.

zoe said:
quote from pythons of australia by geordie torr:
"The tongue collects scent particles, either from the air or the ground, and transfers them to a pair of sense organs called Jacobson's organs via openings in the roof of the mouth. These organs are lined with olfactory cells similar to those found in the nose. Because the tongue is forked and the Jacobson's organs are paired

lol ok dont get cranky :wink: - my quote was proving your point but also making the distinction for everyone else to further explain how it works. sorry didnt mean to offend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back