flicking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
africancichlidau said:
Leave the lad alone Hixy, He is right, it is a fact mentioned in many books.

Not having a go at him africancichlidau, i just think that the theory is a bit of a stretch. Just because it's in many books doesn't mean it is correct. What I'd like to see is a scientific paper investigating the subject with quantitative results one way or the other. :)

slateman said:
I only know that is prety hard to determinate distance with one eye only. That is why people have 2 eyes. Just try to close one and you will see the difference.
True Slateman, but you're talking about people now. Most of the worlds creatures have eyes on the sides of their heads and have a very narrow field of three dimensional vision. In the upper primates, and many tree-dwelling mammals which need to judge distance in the trees, the eyes have moved forward in the skull to give better 3D vision.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a school teacher :p

I agree Hix. Just wanted to say that nature do not give creatures 2 eyes just for symetrical purpose. Even eyes on side of the head do have specific purpose to protect the creature from being easily hunted by preditor, gives them allarownd vision to protect them. Most of carnivals do hahe eyes pointing to front for precise vision to hunt.

Instar, snakes use their senses all the time same as we do. It is a basic survival tool that isn't used just for hunting. I you think about when you see something eg food, you will almost always smell it too. Doesnt mean you hungry but just using all the senses you have. Another example is the old ' do you smell petrol ' trick. You know it is gonna stink but you smell it anyway just to make sure.

Hix,

You have been presented with doco to support the "theory" that the snakes tongue is forked to determine the direction of the sent. Can you provide any doco to dispute this other than your ignorance.

By the way some snakes also have heat pit on both sides of their head so that they can determine the direction of the heat source not just to give them symmetry.

I'll think you'll find that isn't an eye Africa...

(joking, for all your humourless pussies)

Hi, Sxereturn is correct. There have been many tests conducted in the past overseas on snakes sense of smell, and in controlled conditions. They have found they can detect 1 molicule of smell in a cubic metre of air.

The snakes smelling organ is located on both sides of the roof of their mouths . The forked tongue flicks out, collecting smells from the air and ground. these are then brushed against the paired smelling organ. If the smell is stronger on the left side, they will go that way. Stronger on the right, they will go that direction.

As snakes are deaf and nearly blind, they rely heavily on their sense of smell to find food or to detect danger. They also use it to follow marked paths or to detect mating partners.

Goannas also have the same fantastic sense of smell with their forked tongues, but they also have great eyesight and can hear. Komodo Dragons can smell a dead animal from 10 klms away by using their forked tongues

Hix said:
we also have two eyes, two nostrils, two cerebral hemispheres. It's because symmetry in nature is more advantageous than asymmetry.

Nature must been wrong with my important organ. I do have only one. Hix if you have got 2 of them between the legs, I think that nature was extremely unfair to me.
Looks like I am defoult of nature in that respect. LOL
With 2 of them I would be able to sence women from 2 directions.
So unfair. :p

Slatey, while I think the conversation is heading off in the wrong direction, I too am monophallic. But it is right on my midline - half on the left, half on the right - perfect symmetry. :)

Slatey, while I think the conversation is heading off in the wrong direction, I too am monophallic. But it is right on my midline - half on the left, half on the right - perfect symmetry.

I bet you dress to the right ? Eh? Eh? Eh?

africancichlidau said:
I bet you dress to the right ? Eh? Eh? Eh?

Ummm, refuse to answer that one Mouthbrooder as it falls into the category of "Too Much Information". There are ladies reading this after all. :oops:

Comon Hix. Ladies would like to be included in to our symmetry discussion. We should not discriminate. When I am thinking about it. most ladies would have more experiance then us poor hetrosexuall blokes. I donot have experiance with many different organs. My mates are not cooperative. Only my hamble one.
Regarding thread slipping a way, That is ok. All relevant things about the issue was said here. Now is time to finished this topic with sience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back