For those of us with kids starting 'big' school this year.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shea_and_ruby

Reaction score
My baby boy starts big school next Thursday. We have both been ready for a few months now, but since it is getting so close I thought I would post this. I know he will go running to the classroom with his new friends, but hubby has taken the day off to hold my hand.

Dear World: I bequeath to you today one tiny little boy...in a crisp new shirt...with two blue eyes....and a happy laugh that ripples all day long...and a flash of golden hair that glitters in the sun when he runs. I trust you'll treat him well.

He's slipping out of the backyard of my heart this morning...and skipping off to his first da...y of school. And never again will he be completely mine. Prim and proud he'll wave his young and idependent hand this morning and day "Good-bye" and walk with little boy steps to the classroom.

Now he'll learn to stand in lines...and wait for his name to be called. He'll learn to tune his ears for the sounds of school bells...and deadlines...and he'll learn to giggle...and gossip...and only pay attention when the teacher is watching. He'll learn how to feel hurt inside and he'll learn how not to cry.

No longer will he have time to sit in the backyard on a summer day and watch an ant scurry across a crack in the footpath. Nor will he have time to pop out of bed in the morning and lay on the couch engrossed in a much loved childhood show. No, now he'll have to worry about more important things...like grades and which 'cool' shirt to wear and which friends can play with him at recess. And the magic of books and learning will replace the magic of blocks and toy cars. And now he'll find new heroes.

For five full years now I've been his mentor and role model and pal and playmate and mother and friend. Now he'll learn to share his worship with his teachers, which is only right. But no longer will I be the smartest woman in the whole wide world.

Today when that school bell rings for the very first time...he'll learn what it means to be a member of the group...with all its privileges and its disadvantages too. He'll learn that in time proper young men do not laugh out loud...or kiss dogs...or keep bugs in jam jars in bedrooms...or even watch ants scurry across creacks in the footpath in the summer. Today he'll learn that all who smile at him are not his true friends. And I'll stand back and watch him start out the long, lonely journey to becoming a man.

So, world, I bequeath to you today, one little boy...in a crisp new shirt...with two blue eyes...and a flash of golden hair that glitters in the sunlight when he runs........I trust you'll treat him well.

My little baby girl starts on the 6th.... She is also ready for the new experiences and as with you, l am very ....anxious. I have an 11 year old boy and l don't recall this feeling when he started.
*sigh*
in one way, l can't wait... *the selfish* side of me can't wait til l have a little time to myself.. (let DD get settled in at school and then start back at work for the first time in 5 years)

That was so poignant. It didn't help either; my daughter starts next term; now I'm going to be standing at the gate absolutely bawling! :(
Weh!

My boy starts big school on the 31st... I never thought I'd be one of those parents who cried but I can feel the lump in my throat already!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

My daughter doesn't start til next year. Right now I'm at the "I cant wait!" stage but reading this I know I'll probably feel sad when the time comes hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back