force feeding bhp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albinowoma

Not so new Member
Reaction score
How do you force feed a bhp? It hasn't touched day old quail, mice ect left for hours in enclosure and is skinny
How is it done, thanks

How long ago was its last feed? How old is it, or an estimate at least?

How skinny is it, a pic might help. Can you see ribs, is it inactive?

Force feeding really is a last resort.

The temperature, size of the bhp and the enclosure size/type. Where in the house its kept would also be useful information =]
I would only trust a breeder to force feed an animal, I wouldnt recommend trying it yourself

The temperature, size of the bhp and the enclosure size/type. Where in the house its kept would also be useful information =]
I would only trust a breeder to force feed an animal, I wouldnt recommend trying it yourself

Keep in mind everyone who has force fed a snake was inexperienced at one stage and they tried it. Also just because someone has bred a snake doesn't make them anymore qualified to force feed until they have done it. Like you say though it isn 't something to take lightly and without a lot of research.

Bhp's (assuming it is a juvie), are very easy to force feed but can be frustrating sometimes even if you know what you are doing...
It is not something I would want to explain in text on the internet...
I would suggest you find someone local with experience to help you out, unless you are absolutely confident you can do it yourself..
Also be certain that the snake is at the stage where you need to intervene with force feeding or you may do more harm than good..

It was fed about 2 weeks ago but only 1 fuz rat, its about 2 y/old, not on heat mat... Just put it on one, the skin on side punches up- like when you bend ur knuckles the straighten up and the skin stays up. It's just drunk a fair bit of water. It has been very hot here. It's pretty active when taken out.
Should I crush the skull of the rat for the smell to entice it to eat? Something I noticed when I took it for a swim is that there's a little lump near its cloaca? So not sure if its constipated or getting rid to do a doody.

For starters, a fuzzy is no where big enough food item for a 2 yr old BHP, a hatchling can take down a fuzzy without a problem..
If it has been feeding by itself up until now and only ate 2 weeks ago then force feeding is not an option..
I'd suggest you get your husbandry in check and you probably won't have any further problems..

Well, swampy, it was to see if it would eat before feeding it larger foods...

Well, swampy, it was to see if it would eat before feeding it larger foods...

That's not really necessary with a snake.

How long before two weeks ago was the last feed? Is the heat mat on a thermostat? You need to figure out the reason the snake is not eating.

If it needs to be force fed then I would suggest, as a previous poster has, seeking someone local and experienced to help you in person.

It was fed about 2 weeks ago but only 1 fuz rat, its about 2 y/old, not on heat mat... Just put it on one, the skin on side punches up- like when you bend ur knuckles the straighten up and the skin stays up. It's just drunk a fair bit of water. It has been very hot here. It's pretty active when taken out.
Should I crush the skull of the rat for the smell to entice it to eat? Something I noticed when I took it for a swim is that there's a little lump near its cloaca? So not sure if its constipated or getting rid to do a doody.

Sounds too me like hes in shed. Does he look duller than normal?

Something I noticed when I took it for a swim is that there's a little lump near its cloaca? So not sure if its constipated or getting rid to do a doody.
Taking a snake for a swim probably wont help it feel at ease, however letting it crawl around the grass might get its bowels moving if it is constipated. I find pinkie rabbits useful in encouraging reluctant feeders but two weeks isn't long to go without a feed and should warrant force feeding!

It was only a dip in a shallow tub, don't worry it wasn't like a swimming pool. It's only just shed but it was a bit of a bad one, first ever, which is why I let it swim- to help soften the skin to peel off. He did have a bit of a poo but looked normal.

And the bhp has always been a retarded feeder from the start, ie. Taken 10-15 strikes to get its food.

How long has it been in your care? Whereabouts are you located?
What have you been feeding it prior to the fuzzy?

Had it 2yrs, its been on bigger foods and day old quails, but won't even touch quails now atm. I cleaned up a 4ft tank and put a heatmat under one side one end and a rep one heat light the other side. Water dish, hides paper on bottom. I'll leave him be for 2 or 3 days and try a feed again then.

Had it 2yrs, its been on bigger foods and day old quails, but won't even touch quails now atm. I cleaned up a 4ft tank and put a heatmat under one side one end and a rep one heat light the other side. Water dish, hides paper on bottom. I'll leave him be for 2 or 3 days and try a feed again then.
To tell you the truth , I will not pretend to be an expert with BHP's but I have two that are under 12 months old and are absolute pigs, all other stories suggest that once they start feeding they are all pigs so if yours is not interested in eating then I would think that something is astray. Not sure if it is husbandry or health issues but mine eat well.

A. I dont think u snake is retarded. Have u tried catching a MM mini in the sun. That's what u feeding it a fuzzy at 2yo is like.
B. U say u have tried dayold quail mice ect. In the 2 weeks since the fuzzy how many times have u tried to feed it?
C. Why did u need to see if it will feed if u have had it for 2 years? Have u been cooling it or something?
D. A heatmat at one end and heatlight at the other? How are u establishing a heat gradient?
E. you have had ur snake 2 years why is it skinny have u spoken to a vet

Now I'm no expert but I think u need to look up the requirements of your bhp as yes they can exist for years with poor husbandry but will not thrive and live a long and happy life

Last edited:

How recent was the tank move? And to a melamine or full glass tank? Imo the heat sources should be at the one end not one on each. The heat should always be set to a constant temperature at one side.

You have owned the snake for 2 yrs? And now u r asking for help?...... Your husbandry needs sorting big time and we need pics so people on here can give u some sound advice cause by the sounds of it your BHP is malnourished

Albinowoma we can help you get you BHP to good health. Post up some pics
and you will get some great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back