force feeding pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i was only going to pump a few more into him because he was looking so poorly and winter is coming,,, he has been forced for 1 year now half of that with me , and ive tryed eveything from geco soup to braining to letting him go 2 mths without food to senting with dead wild mice , i could go on and on , nothing works............in spring i will try a whole stack of things on him again , fingers crossed .....
you only ever force feed if you feel you have no other choice.....once ive done this guy he goes straight to being frendly and non agresive normaly goes and sits on my shoulders right after being feed so i dont think it upsets him to much....

Cheers PS .....he wont be cooled this year ....

Wild mousetrap

The idea is to relocate the mice unharmed .:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 33
those mouse traps are sold at the aquarium and pet warehouse on the sth coast.
south nowra.
good idea those are.
hope the snake eats soon, my stimmie isnt eating either :(

the thing i dont get about thouse traps is the only good wild mouse is a dead wild mouse and letting it go would only add to the wild mouse problem ,, are you suposed to dump them next door ? let them deal it ? or in the forest somewere ? or are thay made specaily for snake owners that need to feed live wild mice ? this isnt a dig im being serious...

belive what you want , the threads about force feeding not how many snakes the guy i got him from keeps ..and if you make the statement of ( must be the husbandry ) than back it up with some advice i havent already tryed..big mouth know it alls arnt welcome here..

I think you gave in to force feeding far too quickly. Here's something you haven't tried....give that diamond about 8-9 months without a feed and it will almost certainly take dead prey the first time it's offered.

It is a tool , how you use it is up to the individual . As for the wild rodents , many native animals and birds rely on them for food . Some , such as native water rats , are actualy protected . Mice and rats that live around humans are vermin and not good snake food .

thanks serp but i think that 8mth wait between feeds for a skinny 2yr old is a bit risky i wouldnt wont to try that , unless there are others that can back him up on this one ?

stop having a ago at him you did a good job at force feeding

No one is questioning his ability to force feed snakes, only whether the decision to force feed was necessary.

Would 2 months with out food for a 2 year , be concern enough to force feed normally . i know you said it was not in the best condition . so if it was in good health would you be doing this ??
I have had hatchies go over 3 months with out a single feed and always looked fine .
Has it been checked by a vet ?

Thankyou gosfordreaming. Reguardless of wether or not force feeding was nessesary you have felt it nessesary to do so and not only to do so but to start a thread and show others how to since you found it hard to find this information. The purpose of this thread i thought was to show those who absolutly feel it is nessesary to force feed their reptiles, how to do it correctly and if there had of been a thread like this started two months ago it would have saved me 10 hrs driving and two sundays in a row which is what it took me to learn how to force feed my newly borns. It really isn't as hard as it seems and must only be done as an absolute last resort. Since starting to force feed mine a few have gone to feeding on their own, thank god. It is a pitty something that size does need force feeding and i hope all the best for you and the diamond, might he start eating on his own soon. unfortuently you are right and most reptile owners will be in the situation where they will need to force feed and it is helpful when you can just jump on and read a thread like this one, even tho in the flesh seems to help a lot more. Cheers.

dickynee i did mention before in the thread that im a long way from any vets .. we still only get two tv channels here ..haha..

No worries , i did read that....... but thought it would be a good thing to do before force feeding , but maybe in your case it is a long drive .
So would you still do this after 2 months for a healthy animal ??

someone did suggest 8mths wait and i have heard once of 2 years between meals for a big adult diamond , if he was healthy i would proberly wait 3-4 mths, if nothing else worked ?
but each case is differnt so it would be wholely up to you how soon to force after the last time.

In the end you are responsible for the health of your snake - it's your call. There will be just as many people on this site telling you what you did right or wrong if the animal died due to malnutrition - and they wouldn't be nice about it either.

I for one appreciated the pics and hope that your able to get it to eat normally. If that doesn't happen, so what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back