found black tarantula western Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol well then!! excussssssssssse me lol, jokes :) fair enough, i only seen one once in a pet shop :p
lol its okay. People say "Australian Tarantula" but that isnt actually a species, there are many australian species of tarantula but they all get lumped as "australian tarantula or bird eating spider" to avoid confusion.
TBH, no Aussie T's really have any common names.

lol its okay. People say "Australian Tarantula" but that isnt actually a species, there are many australian species of tarantula but they all get lumped as "australian tarantula or bird eating spider" to avoid confusion.
TBH, no Aussie T's really have any common names.

haha ok, lucky i actually typed i didnt know anything about spiders lol... :)

artpty;20. i'm 45 years old and grow up n the bush 100km west of perth and though i had seen it all and this was big and tarantul like it didnt have legs that thined to a point it had big thick legs and rounded ends pad like. most of all the thing that realy stood out was its size or mass (all over big) .[/QUOTE said:
I agree, wish there was a photo!
Not nit picking but isn't 100km west of Perth the indian ocean? Not a lot of bush i would have thought.

lol yes about 90km out in the ocean.... typo i meant east, out back of york, dont no why i put west.
had a look a Richman's phot but to hard to tell look a bit skinny and bald. im hopping to find another one this weekend and this time i will have a camera.

got a question for you guys... are tarantulas found in cold climates?
because at the moment it get down to about 3c at night over here.

Last edited:
Are you sure it wasn't a wishbone spider?
Had this small male wishbone wonder into the yard a couple of weeks ago, maybe the one you found was a female?

wishbone001.jpg

wishbone007.jpg

thank you for posting that Niall!
i was looking through your threads to find a similiar pic!

those wishbone trappys look EXACTLY like T's so you can see how people are mistaken, also they can climb aswell

Haha I was hoping he had uploading a photo.
Thought I would post the photos up, becasue from what he has said it sounds alot like the one in the photo.

Body shot.

wishbone006.jpg

If its as big as you say its introduced, theres nothing even close in Perth. The fact it was that far off the ground in a web rules out Aname and most other local mygals. Ive found Theraphosids a couple of hours from Perth but they arent black and they wont be living off the ground.

Exageration aside, if its even half as big as you say and living off the ground its not native to Perth.

close, but the legs are a bit skinny at the feet end and yes the one i found was 3 feet of the ground and inside a steel pipe no trap door just a open web.
but great photo... thanks
i estimated the size by the way it sat on the bottom of the choc milk container, it filled the bottom area and its legs were still bent. so i guess give or take 30mm, how big does this Aname grow? because at the smallest this spider was 90mm and no way any small than that.

If its as big as you say its introduced, theres nothing even close in Perth. The fact it was that far off the ground in a web rules out Aname and most other local mygals. Ive found Theraphosids a couple of hours from Perth but they arent black and they wont be living off the ground.

Exageration aside, if its even half as big as you say and living off the ground its not native to Perth.
Never heard of Selenotholus sp "black". Described species but very few pictures available, try the Wa museum or Qld museum sites.
Needless to say but we need lots of pics mate, could be very exciting.
I have emailed the W.A. museum to try and get a pic .

Last edited:
Never heard of Selenotholus sp "black". Described species but very few pictures available, try the Wa museum or Qld museum sites.
Needless to say but we need lots of pics mate, could be very exciting.
I have emailed the W.A. museum to try and get a pic .

Wouldn't mind to see the photo they send you.

I also found this guy in the Goldfields south of Coolgardie last time I was there on a field trip.
It would be around 9cm from the Back left leg to the right front leg.
I still have it in a container, I just haven't been bothered to get a ID for it

020.jpg

It will be some sort of trapdoor/ wishbone spider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back