Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone post a pic of a legless lizard so the poster can compare?
also, even tho the poster shouldnt have picked the animal up, surely it could be said without the nastiness?
If one can make a point without the nastiness behind it this forum would be a better place to share and ask questions.
Textilis showed he/she can do it..
JMO :)

Last edited:
I walked past my swimming pool today (which I hadn’t cleaned in months) and noticed a leathery tail hanging out the side so I grabbed the tongs and picked it up to my surprise it was I 20 ft saltwater croc!

Moreover, to my amazement it turned around, looked at me, and meowed! Then it started purr-ing!! so I rang Australia zoo to check what it was, mate they told me to hold it there while they come and get it apparently it was a new species crocodylus porosus catomopulosuarus

Id show you photos but it ate the camera

I walked past my swimming pool today (which I hadn’t cleaned in months) and noticed a leathery tail hanging out the side so I grabbed the tongs and picked it up to my surprise it was I 20 ft saltwater croc!

Moreover, to my amazement it turned around, looked at me, and meowed! Then it started purr-ing!! so I rang Australia zoo to check what it was, mate they told me to hold it there while they come and get it apparently it was a new species crocodylus porosus catomopulosuarus

Id show you photos but it ate the camera
now thats funny. but seriously, DC if i pushed ya buttons i'm sorry. go to aust legless lizards and compare the photos as has been said. you'll probably find it was a legless lizard as i think its impossible for snakes to squeek. in the future just be careful what u pick up, because like its been said, it could be bad for you............... and the reptile;)

hmmm U really shouldnt touch things if u dont know what they are.

No one is haveing a go there are some strong comments from everyone,and we are all right, if you have to pick up snakes there are courses you have to do maybe read A book or 5 on deadly snakes,we have extensive training and still things go wrong!! for your safety and the animals don't pick them up.

I guess you need to ask yourself how valuble is your life to you?

If i want to pick up a snake in my own backyard i will

We'll see if you still have that same attitude when you're being rushed to hospital after being tagged by something, maybe it will sink in then what people are trying to get across.

The hatchling/ juveniles of both Delma inornata and D. impar have black heads. Where in Melbourne did you find the animal and how big/small was it?

Just west of Melbourne. It was quite small under 10 cm

Last edited:
Oh and i should say i have handles venemous snakes numerous times before, so i was not concerned being bitten. The tongs were in the garden near the bbq thats why i grabbed them. It was to small for a brown hatchling so i am guessing you are right it may well have been a member of delma species. I aint never seen these where i live before. Just did a google and turns out it was most likely a juvenile / baby endagered striped legless lizard. I was not aware the babys has black heads i have only ever seen adults before but i should say never in my garden only in the bush.

I might catch it again if i can and ring dse and then get them to collect it and release it into an area where there is a population of them considering they are endangered. What do you think fellow forum members?

You dont think delma impar? there is a protected reserve with them in now far from me.

I might catch it again if i can and ring dse and then get them to collect it and release it into an area where there is a population of them considering they are endangered. What do you think fellow forum members?
just leave it alone. if it was hatched there, there must be more of em, and if they're havin bubs then they're doin alright. just enjoy seeing it. sometimes people taking things to " other populated areas" destroys the population that could thrive where you are. feel lucky you saw one. i'm in melb too and i've never seen a wild legless lizard. lucky you.

Yeah they are not common in Melbourne, i think thats cause they are endangered. Went out the back today and had a look around and found a couple more today. I guess as no one in Australia keeps these in there collection very few of us would have any idea the young have black heads. Research on them is limited to on this breed. I have only ever seen adults which are striped like in this photo i googled vhttp://www.wyndham.vic.gov.au/freestyler/gui/files/leglesslizard_43d42f41597d7.jpg
Should report it to dse as they want to develop land near me so this might put a stop to this due to there status as endangered.

Yeah they are not common in Melbourne, i think thats cause they are endangered. Went out the back today and had a look around and found a couple more today. I guess as no one in Australia keeps these in there collection very few of us would have any idea the young have black heads. Research on them is limited to on this breed. I have only ever seen adults which are striped like in this photo i googled vhttp://www.wyndham.vic.gov.au/freestyler/gui/files/leglesslizard_43d42f41597d7.jpg
Should report it to dse as they want to develop land near me so this might put a stop to this due to there status as endangered.
probably not a bad idea to tell them. but knowing the money in big development a couple of " SKINKS" wont matter to those companies too much. unfortunate really as one day i'd like to see one in its natural habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back