Found this cool lil spider.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ive seen TINY TINY spiders that colour but never that size pretty cool considering i cant stand spiders!!

im not much of a spider person... but it does look like it belongs to the Neosparassus species... although i have seen them green when young i havent really seen any that intense before.. Will be interesting to see pics of it as it gets older :)

im not much of a spider person... but it does look like it belongs to the Neosparassus species... although i have seen them green when young i havent really seen any that intense before.. Will be interesting to see pics of it as it gets older :)

Yeah i'm hoping to grow him and see what he turns into, but as this will be my 1st pet spider it will be a bit of a learning curve. Trying to find some info about raising it, other than the obvious i've already found about branches and stuff. I'm assuming it would eat pinhead crickets or something? And do spiders need to be misted or do they get all their fluids from their prey?

Yes, give its container a little mist now and again. While testing the best ways to keep true spiders (araneomorphs) such as huntsmans and all the rest. I've found they do better with a fair bit of ventilation in there containers. But as there excellent escape artists i find poking lots of holes with a pin or fork into there container or using fly screen or mesh lids. Mist one side of the tank every two days and they will drink some of it and it also aids in moutling there skin as they grow because without the humidity they wont be able to do it properly and they will die. I wouldnt bother with pinheads, small crickets will be just fine, huntsmans and especially neosparrasus (badge huntsmans) are excellent to watch hunt, there very fast and dive through the air to catch there prey. Does it have a large black or colourful patch on its belly? If so it will be a badge huntsman which can cause temporary cardiac problems with some bites so i wouldnt hold it or nothing. Just give him some sticks and flat bark to hide under and between, a tall plastic container is good for keeping them, or a critter keeper. Have fun keeping them and pm me if you need to know anymore about keeping spiders, ive been doing so for quite awhile now and there easy to look after once you know the basics.

Steve

Yeah i'm hoping to grow him and see what he turns into, but as this will be my 1st pet spider it will be a bit of a learning curve. Trying to find some info about raising it, other than the obvious i've already found about branches and stuff. I'm assuming it would eat pinhead crickets or something? And do spiders need to be misted or do they get all their fluids from their prey?

Yeah i would imagine keeping the habitat as natural as possible is the best start :) Personally i wouldnt just stick to pinheads. But if you study the spider specifically you might find the better dietary requirements. As for the water... my mate used to keep spiders and although alot of ppl say that waters get enough water from their food i am yet to be proven that to me. once again i dont know alot about spiders and some others might add more for me but i would be inclined to gently spray some mist is areas of its cages allowing a dew like affect. :)

Yes, give its container a little mist now and again. While testing the best ways to keep true spiders (araneomorphs) such as huntsmans and all the rest. I've found they do better with a fair bit of ventilation in there containers. But as there excellent escape artists i find poking lots of holes with a pin or fork into there container or using fly screen or mesh lids. Mist one side of the tank every two days and they will drink some of it and it also aids in moutling there skin as they grow because without the humidity they wont be able to do it properly and they will die. I wouldnt bother with pinheads, small crickets will be just fine, huntsmans and especially neosparrasus (badge huntsmans) are excellent to watch hunt, there very fast and dive through the air to catch there prey. Does it have a large black or colourful patch on its belly? If so it will be a badge huntsman which can cause temporary cardiac problems with some bites so i wouldnt hold it or nothing. Just give him some sticks and flat bark to hide under and between, a tall plastic container is good for keeping them, or a critter keeper. Have fun keeping them and pm me if you need to know anymore about keeping spiders, ive been doing so for quite awhile now and there easy to look after once you know the basics.

Steve

It's belly is green like the rest of it lol :lol: but i don't think i'll handle it anyway, even if it's venom is considered harmless you never know if you'll be allergic to it untill you're bitten :shock: plus i'm sure they're fragile little things that are best left look and not touch right? At the moment i have him in the bug enclosure thingy my giant rainforest mantis came with, it's well ventilated and i've given it some branches with green leaves that it hides in. I'll have to get a spray bottle and crickets and i guess some tweezers of sort tomorrow for it. Thanks for the help.

No worrys mate, this is what a badge huntsman looks like on the belly.

IMG_2835.jpg

And badge huntsman again

IMG_2776.jpg

And my fire-back huntsman

IMG_2913.jpg

good luck with it all.. should keep you entertained :p keep us posted how it all go's.

Sorry about pic quality but yeah, gives you an idea of what they look like. Im guessing it might be a baby giant green huntsman if its not a badge. But the colour is awful bright.

damn trogdor.. ur spiders give me the heeby geebies :p

Lol, poggle mate spiders dont creep me out, there is only one invert that creeps me out. But if those cute little huntsmans freak you out you should see some of the big bird eaters and trapdoors and funnelwebs ive got. I have a funnelweb here that even the female is more venomous then the male sydney funnelweb. If i got bitten i wouldnt make it to hospital in time and she is just sitting on my desk in a little plastic container lol.

Lol, poggle mate spiders dont creep me out, there is only one invert that creeps me out. But if those cute little huntsmans freak you out you should see some of the big bird eaters and trapdoors and funnelwebs ive got. I have a funnelweb here that even the female is more venomous then the male sydney funnelweb. If i got bitten i wouldnt make it to hospital in time and she is just sitting on my desk in a little plastic container lol.

So i'm guessing you don't handle that one huh? :lol:

Na, dont get me wrong she is cute as a button. Just imagine a shiny black pea and thats what she looks like lol, so fat and round. But no.. no i dont lol. My mate handles them all, has pics of him holding sydney funnelwebs and all.. he has been bitten by so many spiders and scorps the venom shows up in blood tests lol.

Na, dont get me wrong she is cute as a button. Just imagine a shiny black pea and thats what she looks like lol, so fat and round. But no.. no i dont lol. My mate handles them all, has pics of him holding sydney funnelwebs and all.. he has been bitten by so many spiders and scorps the venom shows up in blood tests lol.

Damn he sounds crazy as hell :p i hope you don't have elapids then LOL!

Na no elapids, to much trouble getting the license and to expensive. If it was cheaper id do it cause i wouldnt mind a rbb.

Yep, I'm an idiot....
I knew there would be pics of spiders in this thread but still had to have a look didn't I......
Gonna be jumpy for the rest of the day now :p
Was kinda worth it though to see the glow in the dark spider!

All my family and friends thinks it is funny as that i can handle all elapids without a hassell at all but then i cant do any thing with a little spider :S

Yep, I'm an idiot....
I knew there would be pics of spiders in this thread but still had to have a look didn't I......
Gonna be jumpy for the rest of the day now :p
Was kinda worth it though to see the glow in the dark spider!

did the same thing -slaps self in the forehead-

ick, cant believe we get spiders like that out our way >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back