Free long necked turtle to GOOD home

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

binda33

Reaction score
We found a long necked turtle wandering on our neighbours tennis court and are unable to find it's home. It's about 13cm in diameter and I'm not sure if it's wild or was kept as a pet. We've had it for about four weeks now and looking after it as best we can in an outdoor 4' fish tank.

I'd like to find it a GOOD home. Ideally someone who already has turtles in a proper turtle setup please.

I am happy to meet whoever is interested in Frankston shopping centre as it's not far from where I live atm.

Please reply with details of your existing turtle setup and/or pics if possible. I just want to be sure I'm sending this little fellow on to someone who can provide good care, if you don't mind. I will check back here every day or two.

Belinda

Hello Belinda

Its best you release the turtle at your local creek as it is most likely a wild species

Jake

Hi Belinda - all reptiles in Australia may only be purchased from a licensed breeder and be sold/transferred under license. An animal cannot legally be taken from the wild (rescued or otherwise) and kept in captivity. Anyone found keeping a wild-caught, unlicensed reptile would face fines and confiscation of all their animals. Jake's suggestion of returning it to where you found it, or perhaps contacting a local wildlife rescue agency is the best option.

If anyone on here responds and asks to take it home, please don't release it to them as they are clearly showing no regard to the strict licensing laws that keep our wild reptiles safe and will probably have little regard for the health and wellbeing of the animal.

long necks aren't licenced tho

and if no local water way.....
releasing a captive animal into a wild system isnt good either

I guess you cant really tell if its captive bred or not unless you really know what your looking at.
Other option is to call your local wildlife rescue shelter.

Hi Belinda - all reptiles in Australia may only be purchased from a licensed breeder and be sold/transferred under license. An animal cannot legally be taken from the wild (rescued or otherwise) and kept in captivity. Anyone found keeping a wild-caught, unlicensed reptile would face fines and confiscation of all their animals. Jake's suggestion of returning it to where you found it, or perhaps contacting a local wildlife rescue agency is the best option.

If anyone on here responds and asks to take it home, please don't release it to them as they are clearly showing no regard to the strict licensing laws that keep our wild reptiles safe and will probably have little regard for the health and wellbeing of the animal.
what are u on ?
u dont need any licence to keep ELN [ eastern long necks ] . i highly doubt that its a wild one in the frankston area .

"If anyone on here responds and asks to take it home, please don't release it to them as they are clearly showing no regard to the strict licensing laws that keep our wild reptiles safe and will probably have little regard for the health and wellbeing of the animal"

i will be that uncaring person and put my hand up for the little turtle ,,,, yeah come on tell me how bad i am . id rather see it go to a good home then it being euthanasied ., besides whats to say i cant look after as well as a wildlife rescue center ?

I guess you cant really tell if its captive bred or not unless you really know what your looking at.
Other option is to call your local wildlife rescue shelter.
its very hard to tell , unless there are leeches or somthing on it .
one of my turtles i brought from a pet shop had leeches on it , and i was and still am convinced it came from the wild . i even complained to the pet shop and told them to check where they get the turtles from ..... but they didnt really care :x

anyway Binda33 ,
do what ever you want ..... as long as the turtle gos to a good home/ place , then thats ALL that matters to me .
jessb ,
here are my pics of MY turtles . even tho i have" little regard for the health and wellbeing of the animal'
pond2.jpg

making_a_break_for_it.jpg

boat.jpg

Haha..Nice ZOOJAS! Hope you get the poor little longy. Great setups mate!

I guess this teaches us all one thing...dont assume the laws are the same in every state...and if we all had our state in our description it would be easy to identify the state of the poster.

In NSW all reptiles and amphibions have to be licenced...from the comments on this topic it seems that this is not the case in VIC.

Zoojas, I'd be happy to turn him over to you. I'll go turn on my phone now, my number is 0408 775606. I'm happy to deliver to your house if you like since I'm not too far away. Let me know. :)

well im happy to say the little guy is now swimmin in pond number 3 . thank u very much binda33 , as you could see my enclosures are like turtle paradises . you and your kids are wellcome to come and visit him any time . :)

thats awsome what are the sexes of your others. i have 2 females and ome male in a massive outdoor enclosure.do you breed them

well done zoojas I can see that little turtle must be thinking he is dead because he has gone to heaven!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back