'Free Range' Beardies and monitors? Handling?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleHiss

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to what people think of Bearded Dragons and monitors (obviously not at the same time) being allowed free range of one room or a house, providing that it has been 'lizard proof' and is safe for the little guys. Is it dangerous? Is it good for them? Are there things other than the obvious that should be considered? My 3 year old Beardie has had free range of my bedroom since I got her, but only when I'm with her, and she loves it. As soon as I get home of an evening she's practically throwing herself at the doors of her enclosure to get out. That's another thing, what are your views on how reptiles find being handled? Do they enjoy it, dislike it, or just don't give a flying cahoot?

I plan on having our beardie freerange at some point when he is a bit larger. I have a friend who has his bearded dragons free range in thee house during the warmer months. Sometimes they disappear for a few days and then turn up. I think freerange of a single room, which is what your doing, is probably a better option. Also consider the implications of dangers such as heaters, dogs, cats, other people and escape routes.

my beardies get to freerange in the warmer months, they have access to windowsills (the window sills have been widened) and the room theyre in. i used to leave an enclosure open on the floor so they could go back in, lol, it never got used. mid march to october/nov tehy live in tanks so they dont get sick.

they used to free range around the house, till one got accidentally kicked and went flying, no serious damage, but it ended their access to high traffic areas.

its not something id do unless they were toilet trained tho, i couldnt imagine coming home to a room full or stinky lizard nuggets.

Lol do you need a free range cricket colony to feed them lol

She hears me open the cricket bucket, or hears when I'm dusting them and comes up to me.

my beardies get to freerange in the warmer months, they have access to windowsills (the window sills have been widened) and the room theyre in. i used to leave an enclosure open on the floor so they could go back in, lol, it never got used. mid march to october/nov tehy live in tanks so they dont get sick.

they used to free range around the house, till one got accidentally kicked and went flying, no serious damage, but it ended their access to high traffic areas.

its not something id do unless they were toilet trained tho, i couldnt imagine coming home to a room full or stinky lizard nuggets.

Widening the windowsills is an awesome idea actually. Yeah, she goes back to her tank in the cooler months. I just give her a bath every morning and she poops in there = no 'stinky lizard nuggets' haha

did it with a beardy for a few months whilst in a share house, all good till someone left the door open.

mine have a bath every morning and its become a routine, they wait for that bath, sometimes theyre barely hovering over it and theyre going.

one of them had surgery a while ago and couldnt have baths, he would hang on for between 5 and 7 days till he was jet black and miserable before he'd go in his cage, as soon as he got baths again hes back to going every morning within 5 mins in the bath.

I let my lacie free roam in the garage. When he's had enough, he goes back into his cage, up his branch, and sits under his lights.

There are several factors to consider….
Temperatures within the room being adequate. The potential for the animals to hide behind fixtures in the room. The likelihood of others accessioning the room and leaving it open. The suitability of the furnishings for the reptiles concerned.

I personally think it is great idea if done properly. For example, providing tree limbs set into a bucket of rocks or cement and laced near a window that receives sunlight. I realise this will not provide UVB but the lizards will still appreciate it and use it to warm up. The activity involved in selecting the perch they ultimately use has got to be beneficial.

Go for it
Blue

Two points about free-roaming

Two points to make here:

1) Would not do it with Beardies. I used to live in a place with three south facing windows (actually SE, S and SW); bear in mind I am in the northern hemisphere. Had a linoleum floor, so I placed two specimen trees (Murraya paniculata and Dracaena marginata) in the SE and Sw window on each side of the bed. Allowed my pair of green water dragons, Aussie water dragon (that's him, btw), Tiliqua, White's tree frog (what you call a green tree frog; we have our own "green tree frog," Hyla cinerea) and a big Polypedates dennysii to all free roam. Placed big saucers of water by each tree.

Well --it worked out great! The frogs would sit on their plants during the day, and trade places with the arboreal lizards at night. Even the frogs quickly learned where to soak when necessary.

How-ev-ah, the male WD did start to exhibit behavior "issues." Pete Weis, a former respected breeder in Florida, USA explained to me: When you get a baby lizard, cage it while it is growing. Teach it to associate you with food, and pet it in its enclosure more than picking it up--that is how you hasten trust-formation. Allow the animal to free roam when to young, and you essentially have a lizard living in your yard--(s)he will still have a "flight distance." Taz (my avatar) lived in a 20L for the first 1 1/2 years, so he was/is tamer.

Also, space is no guarantee of peace--the lizards would sometimes face off and fight. It seems that, like fish, more space means something worth fighting over! This was solved with pet barriers, which they grudgingly learned to accept.

As for house-breaking, this is easy. We know that many lizards will eliminate in water. So how about placing some wet newspaper around the water basin? Then gradually shift to dry newspaper. It actually works rather quickly. One rub: Sometimes I do fall asleep when reading--and no, they do not read the date on the newspaper first....

2) But--I would not do this with any animal inclined to hide once in a while; the risk is too great. Arboreal animals sleep off the ground where I can see them--makes life rather easy. I did get worried about the skink occasionally trying to sleep in back of the refrigerator, not a good idea. So, no, I would not do it with an animal that may try to sleep under/behind the bookcase, behind the frig, in the hamper, in boots, etc. (Hell, even ferrets and cats can get into predicaments, no?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back