Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CptLici

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my name's Alicia, and I've been lurking here for a while.

I've decided to join properly for a couple of reasons -
1. I just bought a baby jungle off a Matthew13 fellow on here, and it is just the damn cutest thing ever.
2. I'm planning on building a sweet enclosure for it, so I'm probably going to be asking advice for that at some point.

First I'd like to tell a short story about how I came to love snakes.

My first pet ever was a rat - not even kidding. I was 7, and I wanted something different to all the other kids at school (birds, fish, cats, dogs, boring). I've gone from my first pet ever being a rat, to now owning pets that eat rats.Like most people, I grew up fearing snakes. I grew up in the country in SE QLD where eastern browns and red belly blacks are super common, and encountering one of them was a pretty scary thing. Then, about 2 years ago, I was visiting Sydney and while in Newtown I came across this cool guy on the street who had a carpet python on his shoulders. I stopped to talk to him, amazed, and asked him all sorts of silly questions like, "Is that legal?! Does it bite?! Can I hold it?!" He let me have a hold - the first time I've held a snake, and I fell in love. With the snake, not him... (Images below, maybe, if I've worked this thing right). After that, I started looking in to what I had to do to get a snake and what it's like to keep one as a pet.

A few months later, I bought Ekans, an adult spotted python (or small-blotched eastern python as NSW likes to call them... *** is with that?). He's been a great little guy for my first snake, great temperament, never bitten or even attempted to and quite a personality. I call him my little 'fraidey snake, 'cause he's always so cautious and tends to hook onto something with the end of his tail and only explore as far as he can reach without letting go. Anyway, since meeting a snake properly and owning one, I have decided that people are generally miseducated about snakes. I've also decided they are pretty much the easiest pets in the world.

Now, I've recently added to Ekans with my second snake, Smiley, a hatchling jungle python. Sex unknown, but I'm betting it's a boy, so for now I'm gonna call it a him. If he decides to be a girl later, I am open to having a transgender snake. I have called him Smiley because there is a little smiley face on the top of his head. I got him, super excited, and super expecting to be bitten by him. He's been really well behaved so far, he hasn't even coiled to strike, has fed and pooed and weed and seems to be in an otherwise good mood. I've been handling him for short periods each day (except after feeding, of course), and he's been just the sweetest little thing. Last night when I had him out, he did the most adorable thing - got up on my shoulder, up in my hair and curled around my pony tail. Pics hopefully attached below. I just about died of cute :)

So that's me and my guys. I hope to be kind of active here. I apologise in advance if all I do is post pics of my little guys doing cute or silly things. I just love to take pics of them.

Here's to snakes. Best pets in the world.

2012 - 1.jpg

2012 - 2.jpg

IMG_20120922_102224.jpg

2012 - 2 (3).jpg

IMG_20130515_172152a.jpg

IMG_20130515_172304a.jpg

IMG_20130515_172312a.jpg

Welcome.
I'm a newbie too.
Your snakes are adorable!

Welcome to APS :) love that guys mowhawk! Haha cute little one you've got there too.

Just out of curiosity, ARE you allowed to carry snakes down the street? I thought they had to stay at the address noted on your license unless it's a vet trip??

Haha I've seen that one around, have to wonder how effective that lead is lol

harlemrain was right, it illegal. The snake isn't allowed to leave your premises unless selling or taking to a vet :)

On the other hand welcome! Lol, my first python was a spotted and my 2nd was a jungle!!!! :D What a coincedence :p
I love both rats and snakes...I have 12 rats but none of them or the baies go into the snakeys' mouths :lol:

Enjoy the site :D

You can also have them out for 72 hours to go to expos/meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back