Friendly Monitors/Geckoes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well Ive made the decision to get a lizard now I want to make sure I get the right lizard .
I want something that tolerates being handled and is easy maintenance ....and not huge ! I dont want a dinosaur.... :)
Ive been looking at Monitors and Geckoes .....

Any Tips ??

You could look at pygmy beardies. I had one for a while until I got bored and swapped it for more snakes.
They are pretty well known for having good temperament, only eat a small amount and only grow to about 20cm

If your after a lizard that you can handle, I would go for a beardie. You could get a leather back one if your after something differnet.

Monitors dont really tollerate being handled.

Unfortunately neither geckoes nor varanids are amendable to handling in general, however there are exceptions to the rule... But as others said BDs (particularly P.vitticeps) are the opposite and will tolerate handling quite well.

Dragons or skinks would be the way to go. Go with a bearded dragon, a blue tongue skink or a pink tongue skink. If your willing to spend a bit you could get an albino or hypermelanistic bluey, they are hot. Not sure how they would go in your climate but you could also go western blueys, central blueys or shinglebacks

Dragons or skinks would be the way to go. Go with a bearded dragon, a blue tongue skink or a pink tongue skink. If your willing to spend a bit you could get an albino or hypermelanistic bluey, they are hot. Not sure how they would go in your climate but you could also go western blueys, central blueys or shinglebacks

Wow hyperwhat ??? they sound awesome ! Im googling ! :)

Hypermelenistic, youwould have seen pics, they are the jet black blueys, i think they go for around $800

I have never seen a black pink tongue but i have seen some very dark specimens around. A pure black pinkie would be awesome, like a sleeker version of the black blueys

Damn straight. I had a patternless and they are gorgeous. Getting a couple of patternless hets this week :)

Hey Zeezza I reckon its hard to go past ackies. They are not too large, they are robust, dont require UV if you dust food etc and will eat almost anything. Mine run up to the cage door when hungry and if i'm not careful will jump out on my chest when I start feeding. They will eat from hand, and tolerate handling really well. They are inquisitive and have an intelligent eye. and i'm not just impartial because I have some for sale at the moment ;)

Well if you dont want a dinosaur better go for gekoes or bearded dragons gekoes are a bit more fragile blue tounge or pink tounge would be ok for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back