Frill neck question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr-Zoidberg

Reaction score
At what age/size would I be best off moving my frillneck into an outdoor aviary? The aviary will be partially shaded, and gets sun from 11am onwards. I also have a water feature and a fair few live plants to go it there. Occasionally the winters are cold here, would it be a good idea to install a basking spot for overcast, miserable days? This is the first frill neck I've kept and he can be quite temperamental and dosent like to be moved, so I'd like to get this right the first time.

cheers.

Dragons can be sulky things if they don't like change. I think it should be fine as long as it can't get out. I'd check the distribution of Frillies and then weather records for those localities, and see what they can cope with year-round. I have my Boyd's in a smallish (1.5m x 4.5m) home-made hothouse, with polycarbonate roof (with 50% shadecloth over it) and polycarbonate north-facing wall, the south wall is insulated corrie (50mm styrofoam painted dark green and covered with shadecloth for climbing). gets very hot during the day, but I have lots of shelter leaning against the back and on the floor, and the Boyd's (which go to ground at anything more than about 25-26C) just go under that where it's damp and cool (it's got microsprays which drench it once or twice a day in hot weather).

I can tell you it has transformed my philosophy when it comes to keeping critters. I get so much more pleasure from seeing these beautiful dragons in the foliage and amongst the leaves on the floor foraging for food. They sleep in the high spots at night, but get moving around 8am and go down to the ground. They disappear about 11 when it's hot, but are out & about by 4 until almost dark.

I'm going to do a similar thing with my GTPs to see if they're more active in a more natural setup. Seeing them in my current small enclosures depresses me. I plan to have each (pair maybe) in a 2mx1.5mx2.2m high section of a larger glazed bush house I plan to build this summer. We're lucky to live on a north facing hill and get lots of warming sun in winter.

Jamie

My frilly is a qld locale, and I have spotted a couple here high up in trees.
The aviary I purchased is fairly large as I plan on pairing him up. The back is all sheet metal, the sides and front are mesh till 500mm from he ground so there should be ample shade if need be. I can't see him getting out but I can see me thinking he has since he's so small and there's so many plants and branches going in. He's approximately 45cm snout to tail tip.

I agree that it can be saddening to see reptiles in what seem to be to small of an enclosure, I feel the same seeing my olive girl stretched out in her enclosure.

- - - Updated - - -

The gtp setup sounds as though it'd look pretty awesome as does your boyds.

cheers

If you provide them with lots of spots to find suitable shelter from extremes, the animals should be fine. Sometimes I can't spot the Boyd's, but I know they can't get out so wait a few hours and they always come out in the late afternoon.

Jamie

Thanks heaps for the advise Jamie, I appreciate it greatly.

cheers mate,

Shane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back