Frogs Everywhere

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I am finding baby frogs in my bathroom. I have found two little ones - one was no bigger than a pea. How cute :D They are around the house, inside the pipes. I love them. Have only seen green ones though. No others as yet.

054-1.jpg

051.jpg

050.jpg

Its a great frog year, our frog pond is currently packed with tadpoles, seem to be both marshes and GTF.
Haven't had any in the house yet and haven't told the missus about the YFWS hanging around either ( for some reason :) )

Lucky you, Kathy!

I've seen a couple of species around my place so far this summer. L. rubella (ruddy tree frog) and L. gracilenta (graceful tree frog). The latter was hanging off my screen door a couple of nights ago and scarpered before I could take a picture.

Sadly, I've seen more cane toads than frogs. Grrrrrrr!

thats awesome! i wish i had more/any frogs around... im getting pet ones next week though =D

would still be better if they were wild...

i have had plenty of small ones inside and have huge ones in every downpipe and in the garden i think about 8-9 different ones
View attachment 232281
these randomly appear in the bath

View attachment 232283
in the garden scared my daughter
View attachment 232285
inside my back door, how he got there? maybe kids left the door open at night

i want to get some for the kids too jazzz..... there great

That's geat - lovely to hear.
Kathy, the bigger ones, as you would probably know, are Green Tree Frogs (Litoria caerulea) and I would warrant the little pea-sized green guys are likely to be the Eastern Dwarf Green Tree Frog or Sedge Frog (L. fallax). They are elongated in shape with a white line along the lip. You can also get fawn versions and green with fawn legs. Even as adults they are tiny.
Jazz, you can encourage frogs by making your garden frog friendly. A shrubby garden with plenty of natural leaf mulch for insects and other arthropods to live in. No harsh insecticides/pesticides to be sprayed onto the plants. I don’t even use snail pellets because they also kill slaters which frogs will eat. A reasonable resevoir of water so they can easily rehydrate. Keep it clean of leaf litter or other organic matter that can rot and you should not have a problem with mozzies. Shaded rockeries, rock piles or rock walls are good places for frogs to shelter during the day. They love shadehouses, with lots of plants and moisture, so long as the shade cloth isn’t buried in the ground. Or you can go the whole nine yards and put in a frog pond as well.
Damian, I cannot see your attachments.

Blue

We have found 3 dead babies in the bathroom this week. I wonder if its because they get lost and can't re-hydrate. My daughter now has a shallow plastic container of water on the bathroom floor.

Exactly right. Houses are very dry environments and tiled floor areas are not exception, other than maybe the shower recess. If they lose sufficient moisture they can no longer grip with their feet and so cannot climb. The little guys also have a much large surface to volume ratio and so are prone to drying out much quicker than adults. If they have any problems getting into the shallow container, then a saturated dishcloth or face washer or saucer or plate with water in can be effective in allowing them to rehydrate.

Blue

the frogs have taken over my daughter's swimming pool, but she seems very happy about the thought of lots of tadpoles appearing. We found these two big green frogs in her pool. I wasn't sure if they were stuck there and could not climb the plastic wall to get out so I had an old sign that I threw into the pool - it floats so they can hide underneath or sit on it, and I put a statue in the water, at the edge so they can climb up and out if they want. If Mel isn't going to be worried about the frogs using her pool, maybe I can put some of my azolo in there - aquatic, floating plant looks very similar to duckweed but is native.
016-5.jpg

019-4.jpg

021-4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back