gecko help required pls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

instar

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Our small gecko Garnett is shedding (see 'gecko shedding pics' thread in gen herps) but is having trouble. They are kept in a relatively dry enviroment and although the other two had no probs, this one has been about half way for two days now.
Today i put her in a chinese container with moist vermiculite with a hole in the lid, for about 2 hrs. Some more came off her back, but the belly skin is still firmly attached. She began breathing oddly so I took her out, gave a quick mist and returned her to her enclosure.
If anyone knows a better way, please help. cheers

Thanks Baz, but im sure water would do the same thing. Imo thats one of those gimmicky products,
petshops love to sell to folk who dont know better :lol:
Water has worked just fine on my other herps before today, problem is really that shes so delicate and loathes handling, quite happy to bite too, not that it hurts, but its gotta be strssful, something id like to avoid as much as possible.
I appreciate the thought though, thankyou. :D

hmm, dunno, no idea if its safe ? :? sounds harmless but who knows?

maybe a really really shallow bath in tepid water for half hour, seems to be belly skin is the prob.
possibly broke the old skin before it was ready and it dried beneath?
:?
where is Geckodan when ya need him? lol

I would go the humidity option. Perhaps one of the setups recomended for gravid females about to lay such as moist sphagnum moss in a container with a hole on the side so it can climb in.

Thanks folk, have confined her to a moist hide (tub with vermiculite) with ventilation overnight, will see how she goes in morning. :D

Well, some more has come off this morning, legs head n belly still need work though. Think this will take a while. :D

thank you for the update Instar! Keep up the good work! :) Hopefully when she next sloughs it will go off easily...

Arrgh! update!
Lil gecko is still patchy despite mistings, moist hide shallow baths etc. Not much left to go now.
Bad news though. I was busy nearby and dropped a timer in the gex tub, when I checked them I discovered the one having trouble shedding has dropped her tail. :( Not sure if it was because i dropped the timer or trouble sloughing off the tail skin.
Either way she looks odd now till it regrows. Im sure it was a regen tail anyway since no patterning and I looked closely at the tail, no sign of bone I could tell, looked like cartelidge to me.
Anyway more mistings continue till shes clear.
You live n learn. :?

Just curious, is there any good books etc that you can get info for these guys on? I'm looking at getting a couple myself in the near future and would like some knowldege about them before I jump in and get some myself?

None specific to milii that I know of Grant, but theres a few pages devoted to gex, including one on milii and includes broad tailed and velvet gex aswell, in John Weigals book, Care Of Austral;ian Reptiles In Captivity . Welcome to APS :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back