Gecko..ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamsMice

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls i have been seeing a couple of these gecko think there asian but they dont have a spikey tail. thanks

Anyone know what these are

Attachments

• SDC10334.jpg
    SDC10334.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 98
  • SDC10476.jpg
    SDC10476.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
yeah asian house gecko :) i had the same thread few months ago apparently the spikey tail is there original tail so they havnt had to drop it.

Not so sure the 1st pic is an AHG. It has fleshy toe pads rather than claws like the one in the 2nd pic

To know for sure what they are look at the innermost front toe. If it has a claw it is Hemidactylus frenatus, if it does not it is Gehyra sp.

Based off the shape they do not look like either to me which is making me confused.

Yer Have seen some with a regrowing tail thought maybe it's wasn't an AHG as we have velvet and stuff out here my friend has two really pretty velvet around his house it has yellow spots

Its tail looks a little to fat and short for a Asian House. (Hemidactylus)

Velvets are really nice, you have a couple species around Brisbane the ones with the spots would be O.monilis.

So most of them have claws that means exotic right so there Asian I will have a look to see there claws but to me there to big for a Asian are normally thin and these one in the pic fell smooth like a velvet (wouldn't have a clue what they are but) probley AHG lol.

Its weird my friend has wild velvets I live probley 10min
Away and we have AHG lol

Yeah that does look a little to big and thick for an AHG their tail does not look right either.

The thing is in your area Brisbane the only Gehyra should be dubia which is usually more patterned than that, should still have a rather thin long tail.

But hey maybe it is just a bland one that is really really well fed.

So I'm looking for on the thumb left and right foot a claw? If so an Asian house gecko

Haha yer your probllay right they are fed good there hundred a bugs and moths

If you live a bit more in the bush and you keep AHG numbers down you would most likely get velvets too. Not much you can do in the actual city area though. Your friends lucky tell him to make sure the AHG do not take over.
Still looks like you might have Gehyra's.

Yes the thumb (the one that rests under their chin.) on their front feet left or right, and if there is a claw it is AHG.

Yer Going to have a look we did have nice gecko until the Asian yea we so live in the bush bottom of tamboruine heaps of bush land hopping for some leaf tails or something up there nearly steepted on 2 brown snake and hissed and I ran like I never have. But my friend caught I gecko thinking is was a velvet is was a AHG I'm like get rid of it up the back he like no it's need his mum I told him it would take over\kill the velvets he let it out back in the house he will learn when there every where. Also he went to pick up the velvet and it bit him and hung on he saidit hurt really bad haha I laughed

Yeah its not so much that they kill them but out compete them in those circumstances. There was a id thread similar a while ago in which someone put up a paper about it, good reading. I will try and find it for you.
Be interesting if you did get rid of the AHG at your place to see if the velvets came back. Leaf tails for to for that matter.

Velvet... hurt...... ahahahahhahaha. I hope he never picks up anything worse like a large skink. :p

Here we go found it. The invasion and potential impact of the Asian House Gecko (Hemidactylus frenatus) in Australia - HOSKIN - 2010 - Austral Ecology - Wiley Online Library

Yer the AHG do compete also 100 to 1 lol yer I want the nice ones back might have to catch them all and put them up the back. Yer he will probley pick up a bearded dragon next haha. Great thanks! going to have a read of it

no monilis in brisbane

you have tyroni, robusta, jacovae in oedura
Gehyra "dubia"
Saltuarius swainii (but they are not north of Mt Tamborine)
Diplodactylus vittatus
Underwoodisaurus cf. milli
and Asian House Geckos

the ones posted are AHG....the iris is also a giveaway

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back