Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I seriously think I need to buy myself a book with the different reptiles, including photos, of all the reptiles in both Townsville and Brisbane.. cause I keep having to ask you guys? while on that topic.. anyone know of any good books for this purpose?

Ok.. The gecko; found this little guy in the college last night, looked different to the other, smaller gexs that are around the place.

Last pic is of the little guy when he bit me. must say, ive never been bitten by a gecko before!
View attachment 45775

View attachment 45776

View attachment 45777

Last edited:
I'll go with Asian House Gecko but don't know gex that well.

Id say Asian House Gecko.

If youre after a good wildlife book, try "Wildlife In Brisbane" or "Wildlife in Queensland".
Should be available in Dymocks, etc, for around the $40 range.

It seemed much larger and had different patterning on its back to the AHG. least i thought it did!

ahh, if it's big then house gecko, mourning geckos are quite a bit smaller.
Was it during the day? Outside? AHG's actually have quite a bit of colour / pattern but they go paler and less patterned inside and at night to the point where they can look almost albino.

Well, I seriously think I need to buy myself a book with the different reptiles, including photos, of all the reptiles in both Townsville and Brisbane.. cause I keep having to ask you guys? while on that topic.. anyone know of any good books for this purpose?

A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia - second edition, by Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan. Most recent Australia-wide guide book.

A Field Guide to Reptiles of Queensland, by Steve Wilson. Best field guide available, but only for Queensland reptiles.

Stewart

fantastic, thanks for the book references, shall have to track those down.

This gecko was originally found just outside one of the doors of the college at about.. uhh.. 10pm or something last night? unlike most geckos it didnt run away when you within 5m of it, and because i didnt know what it was i caught it, came up and grabbed my cam, took a few photos and put it back where i found it. Im not sure what a "big" gecko would be classed as, but this seemed bigger than the others in the college... I suppose it would have been AROUND the same size as the robust velvet that i found in brissie, but this one seemed far stockier than the velvet

define spikes? I didnt see any blatantly obvious spikes on its tail..

It's not an Asian House Gecko. Their patterning is much more specific even during the day time. Are you able to tell me what location you found it in? As in Brisbane, Townsville, etc.? I think it looks much more like a dtella species.

define spikes?

spike. noun: sharp-pointed projection.

:cool:

Like on the tail of ol' stumpy below. Asian house geckos have spikey little tails, while Gehyra don't have spikes.

The easiest way to tell the two genera apart is to look at the inner digit. Asian house geckos have a claw on their inner digits while Gehyra species don't. From your second picture it looks like your gecko has an unclawed inner digit, making it more than likely a Gehyra.

Stewart
Edited to add a Gehyra pic

Attachments

• gehyra.jpg
    gehyra.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 33
  • ahg.jpg
    ahg.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Notechistiger, this guy was found on campus at james cook university in Townsville.

This gecko didnt look like it had spikes like that on its tail.. those, i believe I would have noticed!

From what I can find in my book, looks-wise, it's closest to Eastern Dtella (Gehyra dubia) and Variegated Dtella (Gehyra variegata). However, depending where it was found, I'd say it was an Eastern Dtella.

Nice find, by the way.

If it is a Gehyra it will probably be (as mentioned above) Gehyra dubia or G. variegata. The way to tell them apart is to look at the sub-digital lamellae (the scales under the digits). Gehyra dubia have undivided lamellae (as in the pic below), whereas G. variegata have divided lamellae (I don't have any pics showing this).

Stewart

Attachments

• gehyraLamellae.jpg
    gehyraLamellae.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 41
I let him go soon after i got the pics, didnt want to stress it any more.

so.. unfortunately.. i have no idea what the sub-digital lamellae were like, sorry.. i dont typically examine them! lol

thanks a lot guys

HI all,

Def Hemidactylus frenatus, Asian House Gecko.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back