gecko owners, i have a question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cypptrkk90

Reaction score
how does a thick tailed gecko cope with handling? a cousin of mine wanted me to find out some information about them as he wants one. I have found a couple of care sheets for them but they arent that detailed, so if you have links to good care sheets that would be appreciated.

cheers, cypp

Some seem to like it some seem to just hiss and carry on no end. I dont handle mine a lot unless I have to.

They don't really , more of a look and don't pick up kind of herp.

he will be shattered. he thought he was going to walk around with a gecko on his head.....

thanks for your help guys!

I agree with Scleropages, I have both Smooth Knob tails and a baby thick tail and both have their moments when they carry on if I'm moving to a tub for cleaning. I wouldn't recommend them to be handled as if you would a Beardie (which I also have, he will be calm as anything if I was to take him out to give him some natural light or to clean etc). I keep the handling to a bare minimum and only when I need to move them out of their current tubs for cleaning (which isn't every day). They are very delicate and I don't want to stress them out by handling them.

Just adding, They don't have the toe pads like some other geckos so he wouldn't be sitting on his head for very long.

I agree with Scleropages, I have both Smooth Knob tails and a baby thick tail and both have their moments when they carry on if I'm moving to a tub for cleaning. I wouldn't recommend them to be handled as if you would a Beardie (which I also have, he will be calm as anything if I was to take him out to give him some natural light or to clean etc). I keep the handling to a bare minimum and only when I need to move them out of their current tubs for cleaning (which isn't every day). They are very delicate and I don't want to stress them out by handling them.

Just adding, They don't have the toe pads like some other geckos so he wouldn't be sitting on his head for very long.

yeah thats fair enough then, i dont know too much about lizards as im more into snakes. so ill let him know about the beardie.

yeh i didnt think anything would gladly sit on his head, but who knows what he was thinking haha.

he will be shattered. he thought he was going to walk around with a gecko on his head.....

thanks for your help guys!

Tell him to get a bearded dragon , they seem to like to just sit on peoples heads.... they will cope more than most reptiles.. or better still a bird , they NEED to be picked up

Come to think about it , he needs a bird not a reptile.

Yeah, Something like a Beardie would be a lot less stressed out (generally, can't say that for all Beardies because they vary) but generally they are pretty chilled when it comes to handling.

I havent read all of this. I own 2 Levis and 2 Wheeleri. My female levis and female Wheeleri love coming out and having a wonder around, where my males hate me and dont like being handled at all. So i think its really all on the animal.

I havent read all of this. I own 2 Levis and 2 Wheeleri. My female levis and female Wheeleri love coming out and having a wonder around, where my males hate me and dont like being handled at all. So i think its really all on the animal.

i guess like any living then, each have their own personalities. what are the non-scientific names of your geckos?

Last edited:
yeh i would agree with everyone about gettin a bearded dragon but in saying that my female thick tail loves being picked up she just about jumps on my hand, but i guess shes just one of those rare ones that loves being handled :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back