Gecko setup? what's best?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mertle

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am very interested it the geckos I have seen on this site, they are cuties!

What are their needs as in lighting/food etc.......

What sort of setup is the best for them? I am trying to get a 4ft tank from my brother in law and would be thinking of using that?

Any pics would be great for ideas and such!

Thanks for that, Kerri

RE: Gecko setup? what

a 4ft tank is massive for geckos, personally i think that most terrestrial species can be kept happy as pairs, trios in a 2ft tank

I keep a trio of amyae in a four foot tank but most other geckoes need only a two foot. Heating is dependent on which species of gecko you are looking at?? and what temp is the room your set up will be in. My Herp room is very warm and most of my geckoes need no more than a heat mat, although I use some lighting for some juvies in winter to keep them eating and growing. I would recomend a two foot tank as they are easier to heat properly and has more than enough room for most species of gecko.

Those exo terra tanks are perfect for gecks and even frogs I reckon. Love those things.

I use them for velvets but would rather more floor space for levis, and as they arn't climbers it's a bit of a waste of space up top. But yes they are good.

Hey Manny,

It completely depends on what sort of species you want to keep. The set-ups required can vary a great deal. If you've never kept Gex before I would recommend something like a Thick-Tailed Gecko (Underwoodisaurus milii). A single specimen can be kept quite comfortably in one of those large plastic critter keeprs. They only require a hide and a thin layer of sand. No heating or lighting required. Feed once or twice a week. Spray every so often with water and hey presto! But as I said, if you decide what sort of Gecko you want to keep then we can go from there...

Cheers,
Chanty79

well, when i get my amyae and they are big enough to move in together, iim going to put them in a 80x40x40cm tank, with no heating because im in the NT and no lighting because most gecko's are nocturnal they dont need lighting, unless you want to use a black light or infra red light or something like that for viewing at night and right now my bynoe's are in a 40cm square exo-terra

recently i saw exo-terra's the size of a 2foot tank like it wasnt square at the bottom this was at a petshop and when i came home and looked on there site they are not on there???? but these are diffently exo-terra...maybe a test product? but i doubt it because its Darwin lol, is it a new ranges coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back