Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragozz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was just wondering what a good gecko is to start off with? Which ones are mostly available and how much are they roughly?

i was about to ask the same kind of questions il just keep an eye on this thread :p

Geckos are relatively easy to look after.. No matter what you choose there goin to have very similar setups and needs, some are ground dwellers like the Knob Tails, and some tree huggers! like the Strophrurus sp.

I would say a Nephrurus Levis. Smooth Knob Tailed Gecko. There about $150 or so.

Thick Tails are pretty cute and easy to care for (Underwoodisaurus) - my little cutie is my avatar

Depends what you like I guess.

Heres a few sp for ya to look at, some harder to find in captivity then others.

Last edited:
Few more sp for you to look at.

Last edited:
Awesome pics Pugsly! Cute little dudes!

:0)

For a beginner, I'd definately recommend a terrestrial (non climbing) species, or perhaps one of the 'semi climbers', such as Stone Geckoes, Tesselated Geckoes and several other Diplodactylus species. It's up to you, but I'd steer away from fast moving species which climb vertically up glass almost as quickly and easily as they run across the ground.

Almost all of the Knob-tailed Geckoes are ideal, as are Thick-Tailed Geckoes. If you want something a little more slender, you can go for Bynoe's Geckoes (if you want something genetically spectacular, you can go for a parthenogenetic Bynoe's Gecko ;) ).

Joy Lizards Nephrurus levis levis are undemanding captives and a good beginners species. Here are some pics of some i've bred. I may or may not have some males available soonish.

resizedDSCN0354.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0486.jpg

-H

thanks for all the info, there are soo many, and all so nice:D Do the prices vary a lot on the different types?

is it true that they only have 2 babies? or is that wrong?

yeah, they usually only lay 2 eggs.. very rarely they lay only 1

its true they will have two eggs bu they can have multiple clutches, so they can have 6-8 eggs, sometimes more but sometimes less.

Do you handle the geckos at all or are they more just to look at?
My little girl isnt overly keen on having her own snake, she wants lizards or geckos.

geckos aren't too keen on being handled.. if you were looking to handle a reptile and wanted to
steer clear of snakes, i would definately suggest a central/pygmy/eastern bearded dragon.

does anyone know of a rasonably priced breeder in SE QLD area?

Of what sp?

Saz might be able to help you.

There are a lot of breeders around you will first have to decide what you want . Prices can vary alot. Figure out what you want study it up and you won't go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back