Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hjk2500

Reaction score
HELP!.... Geckos

Can I keep Geckos with out any licences or do I have to release it?
I cought this little gecko that was living inside a gap on door frame.

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

P.S. I live in Queensland by the way..
Thanks

Tony

Last edited:
According to the law it needs to be released mate. Even with a license, no reptiles can be taken from the wild in QLD.

I don't know of any specific laws relating to Asian House Geckos, but i would have thought it would be illegal to keep an introduced pest as a pet such as with Red-Eared Sliders. Perhaps someone from QLD can clarify.

As far as I am aware (and this was told to me by a NPWS worker) the only reptile allowed to be kept in Queensland without a licence is the Asian House Gecko. The only real place to get one would be to catch it.
Difference with the red eared slider is that it is regarded as noxious. I think NPW have pretty much come to terms with the fact that the Asian House Gecko is here to stay. They are found from 1 end of the state to the other now and so far have restricted themselves to human habitation. Time will tell if it stays that way.

I wish they weren't here as then it would be more likely to get Natives around the house. I get loads of AHG's at my place and the occassional Robust gecko. The Robust's are generally larger and push the AHG's around when they are present but I don't know if the fact that there are AHG's means they don't visit as often?

A call to NP in Queensland would get you the right information with regards to keeping an Asian House Gecko.

Cheers Andrew.

gee theyre cute, its hard to think theyre a pest! :)

do they have any negative impacts on the environment like cats and cane toads?

as far as i know AHG's need to be on the books in qld, i know threy do in NSW

Ill bet your from Cairns or somewhere around that area.When I was there the place was swimming with these guys. I don't think you need a licence for them but not sure. There is that many of them up there it would be silly to need a licence.

they sure are cutezies..

IMGP0474.jpg

IMGP0480.jpg

found this little one in the philipines.. they were EVERYWERE!!

he was a white colour like the one in the OP. but he got a little stressed being handled by giants..

As far as I am concerned AHG are a pest and should be eradicated. Just IMO.

cool, so you must know what negative effects they have on the environment,...

i'm interested to know why theyre so bad,..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back