General Info Seeking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NRE-808

Reaction score
Hi All :)

I am only very new to this website but have loved snakes for as far back as i can remember and decided that i want to get my A into G and get myself set up both with info and all the necessary gear to get one :)

I have seen on here that most of the 'vivs' are rather sparce. When i have thought about it in the past, i have thought more about getting a store bought 'viv' or one made custom. Just wondering if there is any benefit to sending the extra money for the custom/store bought Vivariums? Mainly asking for the snakes happiness and comfort.

Also, the choice of snake as a starter. I have had my heart set on a Atherton Jungle Carpet Python or SouthWestern Carpet Python but have since learned they are, by the better part, quite snappy snakes. Since joining this website, i have seen and read other bits and pieces that have made me think about getting either a Centralian Python or Murray Darliing Carpet Python as a starter. Looking for a bit of advice as to what might be the better choice of the four for both the snake and me.

Also, any books that would be a good idea for me to get my hands on, dvds, forms on the net etc etc etc... i am hungry for information and knowlege.

Anything that i have not asked for but would be good thing for me to know, throw it my way :)

any advice and help would be greatly appreciated :)

Ian

Welcome to the site!

Care of Aust. reptiles by John Weigel is a great book for general info on herps. Out of the snakes you mentioned the murray darling would be my first pic for a beginner snake. Childrens pythons are also a good choice.

Good luck!

Any enclosure will suffice provided it is of teh right size, has a heat gradient and is fitted with a waterbowl & hidebox.

A murray darling would be the best python for yourself imo.

Keeping carpet pythons by Simon Kortlang & Darren Green is a good, cheap book.

PS,
If you are in Sydney and looking at purchasing cheap enclosures I will be building several units. Sizes will be either:
double 3L x 2H x 2W
single 6L x 2H x 2W
single 4L x 3.5H x 2W

unfortunately, i live in warwick, about 2.5 hours from brissy so...

i have seen a couple of enclosures in toowoomba, in a couple of pet shops but they are very costly ie: $850ish... and i dont know that they are the right sizes for the snakes that i would prefer.

Regarding size of enclosure for a Murray Darling? I know putting a snake in a enclosure that is too big can make it feel exposed and too small, cramped, is there a happy medium? How large do Murray Darlings get?

In regards to the Vicariums i have seen being rather sparce, is it not a good idea to put climbing thigs, fake plants etc in it or do the snakes prefer just the basics?

An adult MD will need a 4x2x2 or larger enclosure.
Best to house it in a click clack container untill it out grows it than place it in its adult enclosure. MD's grow 6-8 feet in length. Decorating enclosures with climbing perches & vines etc is fine. Most people keep large collections so they keep their enclosures sparse & sterile due to easy maintenance.

PS,
I take it by your nic that you like rotaries?

love them :) am building, as my nickname might suggest, a 1972 mazda 808 with 13b extend port etc etc etc

i have seen that term used a lot here, click clack... what is it? :S sorry for being so unwise to the terms used on the site :(

Click clack is a small plastic container with locking lids that go "click clack" when locked. They are great for hatchlings.

Go the Murray Darlings! We have two now, and they are beautiful placid snakes. Got them both as hatchlings. Got our beautiful "Emdee" female from Carly689 from this site in Mildura, and "Boof" our little boy from Ultimate Reptile Supplies in Adelaide. Cheers Cheryl

welcome to the site, MD are a great snake i also have one, they are a very placid animal that are easy to look after for a first timer. as said up until the age of one they will do fine in a "click clack" with a water bowl a hide a branch or something to climb on and a small heat mat under one end, this set up is initialy cheap and easy to maintain, when its about a year old it will be ready to move to a larger enclosure. either way great snakes and there are many pics floating around in resent threads about them, they are becoming quite popular.

i have seen a few threads about them and i have read by everyone that posts something about them that they are the snake equivilant or a labrador puppy :) Very keen to getting everything in order to start off my collection :)

First things first, need to get my license :) i will look into doing that within the next couple of weeks and then focus on getting all the equipment that i need to keep him/her happy and healthy :)

Thanks all for the help and advice :)

Ian

Because of my location, i dont know of anyone in or near the area that breeds them, does anyone know of a breeder in my vacinity?

I just read in ORSM's post above regarding the keeping, breeding and releasing of certain snakes in Western Australia. As i might have mentioned on here earlier, i am looking at going into mining and Western Australia is the the place to be in regards to that... Should i get a Murray Darling Python, will i have problems getting it into and/or keeping him/her should i end up in Western Australia?

Ian

i am firmly set on wanting a Murray Darling now :) they seem like the perfect snake to start my colection :) Thing is... i have absolutely no idea who breeds them close to where i live :( i'd be happy enough to go to brissy or toowoomba to get him/her, are there any breeders of MDs in or near those areas?

Ian

I have looked more into getting my license and will be getting it within the nex couple of weeks so i will be looking for a Murray Darling breeder with some hatchlings very soon. Can anyone help me out with the location of one close(ish) to me? That'd be a great help :)

Ian

is there a list of QLD breeders/keepers either on here or on the net that i could have a look at and through? Does anyone have any strong recomendations for a breeder/keeper in 'local' areas to me? (Brisbane, Toowoomba etc, etc)

Im having some trouble finding info about this

Ian

i am well on my way to getting organised to getting my first little one :) but eventually, my little one will need to have a new and bigger home.
I have been looking around on some of the sites listed on here as sponsers whatnot and have seen a few things that both grab my attention and raise some questions.
For instance, there is an enclosure and substrate on Animal Attraction, the enclosure measures 1200x600x600mm, will that be big enough for an adult MD? I was under the impression that MDs like to climb and was thinking a vertical inclosure might be better...? Or would they be happy to climb and muck around in an enclosure of those measurements?
The substrate is called "bush flooring". I notice more people are both using and recomending that other people use newspaper for hygene reasons. In the above mention flooring's ad, they tell me that it is very hygenic and easilly maintained, has anyone had any experience with that type of substrate? good or bad?

All help and advice is greatly appreciated :)

Ian

still looking for some helpful hints and tips :)

i found a guy that has the books mentioned earlier, care of australian reptiles in captivity and keeping carpet pythons and will be getting them very soon to read :)

ScotchBo is kind enough to set up my hatchling setup for me and i will be getting that sorted as soon as i can :)

Thanks to everyone that has helped me out with advice thus far :)

Ian

NRE...

If you're planning to come to WA, you'll find the laws here really strict. You'll need to contact CALM before you move here to organise your license, and they'll tell you what you can and can't bring in, and can and can't keep.

Cheers,
Marie.

Several online reptile places will be able to arrange delivery of a snake for you.

Only thing is you dont get to see them in real life before you purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back