Getting beardies use to YOU

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus_the_beardie

Reaction score
has anyone here heard of grabbing your new beardie and opening its mouth by pulling it's beard and putting in a warm pinkie so they get use to you?

does this hurt the bearded dragon as you have to pull beard quite hard to open mouth, i did it 5mins ago and i got her to eat a pinkie and some greens (which she doesnt eat... yet)

the person i got my beardie off said to do this method of them getting use to you, he has 20+years experince of breeding beardies

Any comments will be appriciated

how does putting a pinkie in its mouth make it use to u? mine doesnt even have a beard yet...

I suppose it might have something to do with you picking it up, then something tasty happening... ;)

How old is the beady that you are talking about?

I spoke to Brian Barnett (who is been in the business for over 45 years) and I asked him about feeding pinkies to Beardy's. His comment was that it not worth it as they do not get much out of it.

I'm baffled as to how pulling on the beard will get it used to you. I personally would not do it. You are more likely to put it off you and everytime you go near it might run away.

Hold the Beardy in a safe manner so it feels supported and sit down on a chair. Hold it's tail lightly and just talk to it and give it a bit of a pat. Reassurance is the best thing for the animal.

Works for me.

I would recommend hand feeding it its favourite food, whilst it is in the enclosure so it associates your hand with a treat, then it may become more used to you and let you handle it a little, it may take time but most beardies will eventually get tame.

since the day i got my beardie i have only ever hand fed it, i know he can eat himself but i have alot of spare time and i found it works for bonding and trust also.

That sounds like it would do more harm than good...

Generally they are very gentle dragons and mine always try to bluff me me but i don't think they'd bite. Handle them often and hand feed where possible.
I can't see how pulling their beard would make them like you, more like the opposite.

i know i allways handle e, she is allready use to mr

and a pinkie every know and again isnt too bad.

and im not doing the beard thing again i just wanted to know if it hurt them which i think it actually doesnt coz my female doesnt show any signs of pain (doesnt puff beard or anything)

Thanx every1

I couldn't see them enjoying it. Sounds like a force feeding method rather than a bonding to owner method

Generally they are very gentle dragons and mine always try to bluff me me but i don't think they'd bite.

The one in your avatar gave Steve a nice bite on the nose if I remeber correctly :lol:

ok. i brought my beardy about 5 years ago and he was only about 12cm when i got him, a baby.
to get him use to me, i just use to take him out of his tank every day for a little while and sit him on my shirt. now 5 years later, i wouldnt trade him for the world, he is a loving dragon, i can hand feed him anything, and he has never even puffed up at me in 5 years. my 5 year old daughter gets him out and kisses him all the time. i think the only way for any animal to get use to you is in time, as long as you dont frighten it and are gentle, they should warm up to you. as they get older they settle down. my beardy is almost 5 yrs old now and i take him out to my back yard and put him in the sun and i can potter around the yard and he just stayes there, he is a angel. take ur time with it. they are awesome

Ha ha, very true Jordo, that was a classic. I proberly should've re worded my last post, cause my female, Sunshine, would love to give me a nice bite at the moment. She hates me for taking her eggs, she didn't see me do it but she knows and puffs up everytime i open her cage now.
(She is being spoilt at the moment, my way of sucking up to her).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back