Getting my Beardie a mate!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starkey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanting to know if beardie's get lonely...

At the moment my beardie (sex undertermined) is in a 6ft flexarium with to yearling EWD's. They all seem to be getting along great but i can't felt but feel sorry for the beardie as he doesn't have another beardie to play with. The EWD's never stray from each other (one male, one female) and like to be at the end of the enclosure that is slightly colder, whilst the Beardie is at the end with all the heat. I was wondering if in time (when the EWD's grow some more) the beardie will become more social or if i should get it a mate.

Is 4 dragons in a 6ft too many (2 EWD's and 2 Beardies)?

I personally would not keep the two species together long term. The EWD's enjoy humidity and the BD's don't. I have housed young of both species together but found that as they get older the beardeds tend to freak out the EWD's, especially if it is a male bearded. But.....everyone is different, sometimes it will work and sometimes not. also EWD's can tolerate much higher bacteria levels than BD's. Another BD will definately increase the activity of your existing one- make sure you don't get two males tho.......

Thanks for the info!

I had been thinking for a while that the beardie might be female, now i am more sure it is because from what many people have told me the males are a hell of alot more territorial. I hadn't honestly thought what i would do within the next year in regards to enclosures and such, i know that when i move out of home i plan to:

a) increase my collection (when i get my class two license).
b) separate existing species into species specific enclosures.
c) find a mate for my beardie.

Finding a mate for my beardie at the moment is proving a difficulty for one reason only. My parents are not keen on me keeping more lizards, even though this wouldn't mean getting another enclosure.

I know it might seem a dumb question but why would it matter that i have EWD yearlings housed with a juvenile beardie?

I only ask this as the guy i bought my EWD's off had 3 enclosures all cohabitating different species. And from what i saw they all lived happily and noone seemed to fight.

provided there is good ventilation then you could get away with it. I would still worry about aggression tho. Bear in mind the EWD's can be kept outdoors wtih no heating and this will save u $$. Also if u shift the EWD's outside u can get a male BD for inside and then breed and sell young B/D's. it is always good to make a little $$ back and this might sit well with your parents;). u wont make big bugs but it is the pinnacle of the hobby. I would be very wary about introducing a male bearded into the current set up, it may work, but if it doesn't you will be responsible for injuring some of your animals........:(

Yeah it is an outdoor setup, still i'm providing them with alot of alternative heat and light cause at the moment the weather is pretty hard to predict and i'd rather be safe than sorry.

At the moment as i have said my EWD's are yearlings so when can i expect to begin breeding, next year?

EDIT: it is an Exo-Terra Flexarium so it gets alot of ventilation.

next year prob too soon for the EWD's to breed. If there is good ventilation on your 'flexarium' then I guess give it a shot, but watch the group carefully after you add the new b/d. awd's need to be around 500g for females and more for males to breed and they have to have been wintered outdoors....IMO.

good luck dude...

Yeah i'll make sure i keep an eye out. Now to tackle the last hurdle, my parents... lol :lol:.

I've heard so many different opinions on when a EWD is ready to breed, some say it's age, some say it's size (length) and some say it's weight; who's correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back