Getting Over The Fear

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slytherin00

Reaction score
So i've got a Jungle hatchy and she's very cute and small, I got her yesterday and well she's pretty snappy. Like I know Jungles are snappy and will almost always try to bite you but because she strikes with such speeds it freaks me out

So is there any tips on how to over come this little fear, or should I just get bitten a couple of times just so I realize it doesn't hurt as much as I think it will

If you've only just got her, leave her to settle in for several days before handling her

Leave it alone...at least for a few days. Offer it a feed after a week. Leave it alone for a few more days.

When you try to pick it up, try coming from underneath it. Predators attack from above. Most likely it will mock strike you if it does anything. Hold your ground, be very deliberate in your moves. Try not to jerk away, you "know" its going to do it.

Work with it, time and patience. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

And if your still being a pussy, wear some gloves or something haha

leave him alone for a few days then offer a feed then leave him alone for another day or two , then just get him out from underneath . Don't hesitate go straight in and get him , it is best to fix the problem when they are young .

it is best to fix the problem when they are young .
There is no "problem". It's a young snake following it's natural instinct to discourage a large, strange animal from potentially eating it.

There's plenty of threads on how to handle snappy animals so maybe have a look for a method that's right for you. I personally like using a hook and letting it come to your hand on its own terms. It requires lots of patience and some people will say using a hook on a python makes you a pussy but it worked for me a few times in the past.

let it settle in for about a week maybe more, thats what i did with my woma

- - - Updated - - -

and post some picssss!!!!

There is no "problem". It's a young snake following it's natural instinct to discourage a large, strange animal from potentially eating it.

There's plenty of threads on how to handle snappy animals so maybe have a look for a method that's right for you. I personally like using a hook and letting it come to your hand on its own terms. It requires lots of patience and some people will say using a hook on a python makes you a pussy but it worked for me a few times in the past.

Oh i totally agree with your comment Saximus, however we are talking about a hatchling python, not a large olive.
my comment was a joke, not an attack thats for sure. if that was what you were implying? .. its a baby! i would be surprised if it would even break the skin.

Nah man I wasn't referring to you specifically. Plenty of people have that viewpoint (even me to a degree :p). I just meant not to let comments stop him from doing it that way if that's the methods he's most comfortable with

Ok my new game plan is because she hasn't been feed since last Tuesday, i will leave her alone til Monday then give her a feed then leave her alone til Thurs/Fri and attempt to handle her then. I hope I mange to tame her. cos she's such a beautiful snake

those guys are generally snappy when there young ,let him or her tag you to get over your fear lol id use a glove or hook otherwise to get it out of enclosure.

Ok my new game plan is because she hasn't been feed since last Tuesday, i will leave her alone til Monday then give her a feed then leave her alone til Thurs/Fri and attempt to handle her then. I hope I mange to tame her. cos she's such a beautiful snake

She is still a jungle, they do have a bad rep which i dont think they deserve... however ive got a few mates with them and they are phsyco. some just never become tame, snakes are not cuddly creatures. If you get a calm placid animal, its just a bonus.

If you've been doing your homework before getting your hatchy you should have noticed the half dozen snappy snake threads over the last month or so, mostly due to new owners rushing in boots and all. All have the same advice that you need.
Summary:
a) It's a hatchy it can't hurt you. Imagine you were that small and this giant tries to grab you, you'd put on a show too.
b) Leave it alone to settle in.
c) See a and b...
d) Handle a little at a time.

Well Gruni I was quite aware the temperament of hatchys and even more so that of a jungles. I think what the main question of this post is how to control the reflex.

Like im not overly concerned about the bite, its more the speed she strikes, my innate human instincts override and I pull away. Rather like when you touch something hot most of the time you have already pulled your hand away before you've even had a chance to think. So I was seeing how others controlled their reflexes.

At the end of the day, I may have been a bit short in the original reply but you have had the snake for 24hrs and are posting in a way that sounded as if you were saying it is constantly snappy and that is putting you off... give the snake and yourself a chance, it's the first flipping day.

Once you get nailed and realise it doesn't hurt you stop flinching, but it still sounds in your original post that you have still overlooked the basic rules of when you bring home a new snake. There are a few people on here who will disagree but the concensus will still be to leave it alone for the better part of a week and then give it a feed and again leave it alone for three or four days. Consider curtaining off the front of the tank as they are sometimes snappy because of all the traffic passing the tank... all these factors and then some are discussed in the other threads I was refering to and have been much discussed in the last two months including your natural reaction. Two threads that come to mind are 'Snappy Spotted' and 'Scared Snake'.

Like im not overly concerned about the bite, its more the speed she strikes, my innate human instincts override and I pull away. Rather like when you touch something hot most of the time you have already pulled your hand away before you've even had a chance to think. So I was seeing how others controlled their reflexes.
It sounds harsh, but engage your brain. Instinct is a reaction to an action not thought out and can be ignored if you choose to. Give yourself and the snake some time to adjust as already has been said in several posts above. Once it and you are more settled, think about not pulling away from a bite and go to handle her.

To some that advice may sound weird, my experiences have taught me otherwise.

Good luck and as always, get some pictures up you muppet :)

Just out your hand in and look away lol- - - Updated - - -Just out your hand in and look away lol

I was given a 6ft bredli who is a complete physco for my 1st snake an the more I hestitated when I wanted to handle him the more I got tagged so be fearless in your actions an there so quick that you don't even think you've been bitten till you see the blood but there teeth are so sharp it's basically painless so it's best to tame them young otherwise your reptilian friend well end up attacking everything mine even strikes at his own shadow

Orr... you could get heaps drunk with a few mates and play with it... If your intoxicated enough you wont care that it bites you. Or even get hell 'stoned' and laugh at it as it sticks you! lol :) ha ha ha (joking)

but it did work for me! lol :)

Wait a week and then start handling the snake for 5-10 minues everyday as it gets more use to you you can handle it for longer time periods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back