Giant Squid Photographed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thousands and thousands hsut, more than we could imagine i'm sure, and lets just hope they don't develop a taste for it eh?
no racism intended, i love sea food to, but with that many people to feed, food is food right.

I do quite like a bit of bushmeat, although it can be a bit tough if the animals are much over a month old but i do draw the line at tiger scrotum. I can't stand the texture. Sun bear fur is actually a bit co**** and i don't like the feel on my soft supple skin. Pffft atleast give me a better argument than that!

The difference is that giant squid are not on the verge of extinction (that we know if anyway, hey perhaps this research will tell us). There is nothing wrong with a sustainableharvest of any kind of animal for food.

Now stop right there Hsut77! Put that woolworths salad down! Don't you know that has baby rocket and beetroot leaves in it that are unashamedly plucked from the living plant! Go eat a peice of veal you eco-terroroist supporting greeny! :)

Hey i just swatted a fly! Does that make me a murderer LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :):):):p:):p

can't be raceist hunny, i'm such a mix myself, many races in one.....just practically looking at food requirements for one of the most dense populations in the world.

I realise this is the companies which are causing the problem. Currently there is more whale meat in japan than can be sold to its "apropriate market" and now there is a fast food chain trying to get rid of the stuff. my view is entirely not racist, and i dont bame the japanese people. If australia was doing it, i would be even more disgusted.

personally, calamari is my fav sea food, mmmmmm giant calamari steak (insert homer simpson drool here) :p:p

Now stop right there Hsut77! Put that woolworths salad down! Don't you know that has baby rocket and beetroot leaves in it that are unashamedly plucked from the living plant! Go eat a peice of veal you eco-terroroist supporting greeny! :)

You seem to have me wrapped up in a nice little box there Waruikazi. Have I offended you personally? Greenie, I think not. Concerned about the state of the Planet and everything in it, certainly. I make not that my original post was not racist it just stated that a giant squid was filmed for the first time and was killed while it was being caught. I apologize if any of this has hurt your feelings, but reducing a commentary about ecology & conservation into a name slinging match seems a bit juvenile don't you think?

The difference is that giant squid are not on the verge of extinction (that we know if anyway, hey perhaps this research will tell us).

Perhaps this research will tell us, "Oh bummer.......... I mean good this species is now longer Endangere!!!!!!, it was the last one....... so it is now extant"

my god,can you imagine the size of the chips you would have to serve with that.!!
and the tartare sauce....1 bucket or two..so are giant squid rare or rarely seen.?.i know bay squid (calimari and arrow head) that i catch are very fragile and die quickly when out of the water,not like their cousins the octopus,which will live for a while and do everything it can to escape..
these animals are beautiful and when seen through swimming goggles can be truely awe inspiring i reckon.
if i ever catch an occi i let it go,apart from the fact i dont know how to cook them properly ,it disturbs me the way they look...it 's like they have intellegence far beyond that of their scaley friends(fish)

Ur probably right Penny, they would have spent thousands of dollars on an exploration to find a giant squid and once they caught it thought "Ummm.... Now what do we do with it?"

As far as i am aware they have the worlds largest aquarium that is actually so big they keep whale sharks. So i don't think they would have had any big issues of housing it. Speaking of housings needing to be exactly like the natural habitat... how are your snakes housed? Do they have an entire bushland to raom around? Do you leave them alone during the day considering they are nocturnal?

C'mon people, don't be so pedantic. Would you say the same things if it were and Aussie expedition?

They are obviously having some issues if they cant get the squid out of the water let alone into their tank. Yes I would say the same thing if it was an aussie expedition. I'm not racist or anything like that, the point is what is happening to the animal, not which country is doing it.

No, my snakes don't live in an entire bushland to roam around in. They are also not endangered or dying in their enclosure and they do have everything they need in there to survive, except of course a food source which I provide for them. They are also a pet, not a scientific experiment with thousands if not millions of dollars backing my snake enclosure. believe me, if I had that kinda money given to me for my snakes, they would get their bushland.

penny, studying somehting in a captive environment will really not show much about the things that needs to be known. And if they dont know enough about it, then the chances of making good husbandry decisions will probably mean that it would die anyway.

I am so sick of greenies.

I didn't say I was all for them studying it in a captive environment, but if they were going to, they might as well do it right. I would rather see one caught alive and studied instead of one killed in the attempt of catching it, although i would much rather it if they were left alone, but my thoughts aren't going to stop teuthologists from doing what they do for science.

I'm pretty sure that those baby rockets and beetroot leaves you speak of were farmed for the specific purpose of being consumed in woolworths salads.

I don't think it is necessary for scientists to probe every single life form for any and all information they can get. No, Giant Squids may not be endangered, and sure knocking off a couple here and there isn't a big deal, but it doesn't make it ok to do it.

.i know bay squid (calimari and arrow head) that i catch are very fragile and die quickly when out of the water...

That was the point I was trying to make earlier.. once they caught it what were they going to do with it? They would have to have some sort of underwater pressurised tank that could fit onto the boat and then the truck that would transport the squid to the enormous aquarium waruikazi described..

-Penny

You seem to have me wrapped up in a nice little box there Waruikazi. Have I offended you personally? Greenie, I think not. Concerned about the state of the Planet and everything in it, certainly. I make not that my original post was not racist it just stated that a giant squid was filmed for the first time and was killed while it was being caught. I apologize if any of this has hurt your feelings, but reducing a commentary about ecology & conservation into a name slinging match seems a bit juvenile don't you think?

No mate i don't take offence beleive me i have thicker skin than that :)

"the whales they murder" This comment led me to beleive you wewre a bit of a greeny and it was a joke i thought the ample :):p lolololol would have spelled that out. And i think it was isk that showed us that is can't be murder:)

"oh well, it died during research , LET EAT IT" i take this comment as racist, you may try and explain it as a typo, but i wouldn't beleive you. And i also do not beleive you would have said this if it were another country that had "caught" this animal.

The giant squid was not killed it died. Which could have been for any number of reasons and happens to many animals that are caught for research purposes. Don't get so worked up and upset over such petty little things you greenies! :)

they need to stop killing animals for research an food like whales its pathetic i hate them wish the whales knocked there whaling ships over an they all drowned. ill wear a hot green tshirt an annoy ppl about it. lol

i know bay squid (calimari and arrow head) that i catch are very fragile and die quickly when out of the water,

That's because they have a rather fast metabolism and use alot of oxygen. If you airate the water they last ages, and i've had them survive for hours on a hook being used as live bait after being in a bucket for maybe an hour or two. Don't ask why i didn't catch anything after an hour, i am a great fisherman.... it's there were no fish around... really :)

This could be taken as a personal attack upon me,,,,,as i'm sure it is.
i'm sure there's a thigy in the whatsits about that and mods might consider it one too hmmm.
How on earth a gypsy, jewish russian, irish aboriginal english scott could be a racist is beyond me :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

People scream "Racist" at the drop of a hat these days.

The giant squid was not killed it died. Which could have been for any number of reasons and happens to many animals that are caught for research purposes. Don't get so worked up and upset over such petty little things you greenies! :)

O.K, Sorry, I must admit that the Let's Eat It remark was aimed at the whale hunting. They are killed for research and they are eaten, unless these facts are incorrect??

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/whale-burger-high-on-this-food-chain/2005/06/23/1119321851527.html

Or was the burning, sinking whaling boat fishing tuna instead? Now you can belive what you like, but I would have posted the link if any nation had filmed and caused the death of the animal. As the article states "died while it was subsequently being caught". So if it was not killed did it suffer a heart attack at the exact same time it was being hauled from the water?

Lets agree to disagree, I think that everything in the world doesn't deserve to die just so we can know every little thing about it and you do. I'm not saying you are wrong, but i'm sure people in 50 years will.

racism has absolutely nothing to do with what ethnic group you come from. It is the intolerance of other specifically because of where they originate from.

Your post i found offensive,a s many of my good friends are japanese. I did not make a personal attack, merely an observation based soley upon the post you made and which i quoted.

The fact that you dont see the bigotry that you less than eloquently paraded as racist is a key indicator that you probably are.

its like someone saying that jsut because there are many violently alcoholic aboriginal people in australia ( many violent alcoholics from all walks of life though) that every single aboriginal is a violent alcoholic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back