Giant Squid Photographed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i just find the funniest part of the situation that european australians have eradicated so amny species inside australia and yet there are so many people who just point the finger at someone else and say that extinction is all their fault.

Well ar least we can agree on something. :) :)

Last edited:
My local fish monger has a whole pile of dead squid, proudly on display! :shock: Grab yer pitch forks, let's form a mob!

Everyone grab your Coggers (possibly the most sought after book on Australian reptiles) and read the section about lethal capture techniques, including the use of firearms and catapults (pages 38 and 39). If you manage to catch one alive, you can turn to the killing section (page 40) (No, I'm not having a go at Cogger, I have as much respect for the man as anyone else here).

Your ethnic background doesn't for a moment preclude you from being racist, no matter what it is.

If the Japanese are going to develop a taste for something, it's probably a good thing if it's a non-endangered species... having said that, Giant Squid taste like really horrible squid which has been soaked in bleach for a week (they're full of ammonia and probably at least mildly toxic... I don't think anyone has managed to eat enough to feel sick). Don't worry, the Giant Squid are in no great danger of being used to feed the starving masses.

There are plenty of horrific things you can try to stop if you want to be a bleeding heart. Many of them are literally millions of times worse than someone killing a squid, even if you ignore any scientific benefit. Worrying about an individual of a common species here or there doesn't make much sense when there are entire ecosystems being destroyed. Bulldoze an area of rainforest and you wipe out a zillion individuals from countless species, etc etc. This happens right here in Australia. I catch and eat squid, perhaps you'd like me to be shot or sent to Japan.

Not all whales are endangered, and so therefore the green idiots from green peace and sea shepherd are actually making the situation. It should be interesting to note that very few japanese people actually eat whale meat. The whaling issue is not discussed in japan at all and there is no media coverage. This is the companies, not the japanese people who are causing the problem.

The fact that a species of whale (or any animal for that matter) is not endangered is no reason to hunt it until it becomes endangered. "Oh look, thats a pretty animal, is it endangered? No, well lets kill them all then." Absolutely ridiculous. The ecological balance can be disturbed by even a slight drop in the numbers of a species.

You are right however about the frequency of Japanese that eat whale, a very small percentage. Many Japanese people oppose whaling it is those in control that have a taste for the meat however and so it stays out of the Japanese media. It would be a lie to say that the issue is not at all discussed in Japan however, I know of a good many Japanese people who openly opposed whaling while living in Japan. Simply because the bigshots keep it out of the news doesn't mean it isn't discussed at all.

Im sure you will label me a racist as seems to be your most prominent argument but I do not beleive the Japanese are the problem but rather certain government and corporate entities (not only and certainly not most prominently those in Japan) that cannot get over the God complex many human beings seem to have. We may be the dominant species but that doesn't give us the right of dictation of how all other species will exist, in fact it leaves us only with a heavy responsibility to protect everything else on the planet from untimely demise.

Just a thought.. maybe the normal species of squid we have are just juveniles of the giant squid? after all, the giant squid's babies/larva are the size of a cricket...

(although I'm sure science will tell me i'm wrong, but who knows eh?)

I think we all need to take a lesson from the lives of the bonobo.

The fact that a species of whale (or any animal for that matter) is not endangered is no reason to hunt it until it becomes endangered. "Oh look, thats a pretty animal, is it endangered? No, well lets kill them all then." Absolutely ridiculous. The ecological balance can be disturbed by even a slight drop in the numbers of a species.

You are right however about the frequency of Japanese that eat whale, a very small percentage. Many Japanese people oppose whaling it is those in control that have a taste for the meat however and so it stays out of the Japanese media. It would be a lie to say that the issue is not at all discussed in Japan however, I know of a good many Japanese people who openly opposed whaling while living in Japan. Simply because the bigshots keep it out of the news doesn't mean it isn't discussed at all.

Im sure you will label me a racist as seems to be your most prominent argument but I do not beleive the Japanese are the problem but rather certain government and corporate entities (not only and certainly not most prominently those in Japan) that cannot get over the God complex many human beings seem to have. We may be the dominant species but that doesn't give us the right of dictation of how all other species will exist, in fact it leaves us only with a heavy responsibility to protect everything else on the planet from untimely demise.

Very well said.

There are plenty of horrific things you can try to stop if you want to be a bleeding heart.

I am a bleeding heart, as i'm sure your well aware of, but someone needs to be. Can i imagine a benevolent world for my grandchildrens grandchildren? not with the attitudes many hold for the care of the environment.
Eco-terrorist, greenpeace, wildlife warrior, wildcare australia wildlife carer, tree hugging dirt worshipper and damn proud of it. :shock:

I was thinking the same thing about Cogger, he must be evil like the japanese if he shoots herps and tells ppl how to. :lol: (comment not to be taken seriously)

Its a shame they didnt manage to get it into their tank alive, im sure they will get another one sometime.

I;m wondering if people here are missing one of the pictures of this thread... 1. It's about giant squid... 2. The giant squid died while being caught

It was done by Japanese researchers who are not well known for their conservation methods.

There was little racism in this thread... Although in the advent of PC perhaps any description of what a race does as a generalisation may be classed as racism.

I also, personally, would like to see Norway stop whaling and French perfume and cosmetic companies stop using whale in their products.

I don't think that squid is an environmental catch, however, I also choose to eat it in some hypocrocy maybe.

But to see this thread move to examples of Australian establishment, Tassie tigers etc... I just think it's going in opposite directions to what was important here.

The study of this squid is almost inconsequential. There's not that many of them around and the ones that are around have enough problems in their life than having to worry about Japanese scientists.

I would have been equally appaled if it were Australian, American, Kiwi, or any race of people on earth...

If I had to take a pinch of concrete to harden up then I wouldn't be making these comments against what seems to be the flow of this thread. I'm not afraid to speak my mind.

I once said in a conference, in NZ, we should kill the Kaimanoa (sp?) horses that are destroying native tussock land... Everyone laughed at me... But over 30 species of native tussoc were nearly extinct... it's not all about furry animals... It's about specific diversity in ecosystems. And those squid play a very important role in that balance. Endangering them endangers a fine line of a delicate eco-system.

if by chance the killing of this squid has helped conserve them in a required manner, I will say that's ok... One died to save the millions. It sux to be that one... Many of us couldn't do it. I don't even know about myself. But our intervention, at present, doesn't seem to be helping this species at all!

Ok, as we can see that you didnt finish high school and are probably not fully informed about the situation i'll cut you some slack on the spelling.

i just find the funniest part of the situation that european australians have eradicated so amny species inside australia and yet there are so many people who just point the finger at someone else and say that extinction is all their fault.

Perhaps you shouldnt comment on spelling Junglist*
Australia*
Australians*
Many*
European*

Why are you trying to single out "european australians" as having "eradicated so amny species inside australia".... sounding a little racist yourself Junglist*

Perhaps you didn't finish school, so "i'll" cut you some slack then...

Humans have been causing animal species to become extinct in Australia for thousands of years before "european australians" arrived.

Funny how your quick to claim others are "UNINFORMED", when you dont have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back