gidgees had babies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vadnappa

Reaction score
got home to find my gidgee girl had dropped. had almost given up on these guys breeding this year.
i still have the babies in with the parents, not sure if im going to separate them or not. they are a colony skink but i have heard bad stories/rumors. last pic is of enclosure 4x18. second last of bub haven a drink.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 114
Big congratulations vadnappa. They're very cute indeed. What are your plans for the babies?

they are cool i don't no much about them but i no with others you separate and then reintroduce later on i would be interested in getting some of those in the next few years so keep up the good work

Hey congrats!
never realised these existed until recently, such cute little lizards. Have even been considering getting some.

dude they look sweet. They look like mini hosmers when there that small imo. Congratzzzz/

AHHHH

SO cute. are they for sale? :D

im in the middle of getting me some Cunnings and Hosmer. they sure are tiny!

:eek:

cheers guys. yeah they are pretty sweet. im probably going to split em up or i would be stressn all the time, plus it would be too hard feeding them in there. they aren't for sale if i dont end up keeping them they have already been reserved. they seem to know each other they have been licking each other and their parents, and the bubs run under the adults when they freak out. its just the pair in that tank, they wont tolerate any other adults, so they may be ok with them.

Congrats! I'm still hoping my small girl is pregnant, do you have any pics of the mum before she gave birth? I'm finding it hard to tell if my girl looks fat because they always look fat anyway so it'd be good to compare. At the moment mine is taking the big heaving breaths and not eating much (but still gained a little weight) so it's looking good.

nice one,love the pics,jordo a good way to tell is observe her behaviour,gravid females do the heavy breathing thing especially later in there term,i possably have a gravid land mullet right now and some cunnies,but until i see mini mes runnin round wont know for sure,man gidgies look cool,i must get me some of those,good job vadnappa

Well done. Bredli, you would have seen the gidgees at my place yea? Gidgees are awsome, I'm in the process of building a pit for mine and I can't wait until they start to breed to get a colony happening. I wonder if they do attack their young? Safest option would be to take them out and reintroduce as sugested but would be an interesting experiment, might be costly though. I know cunnis are known to eat their young.

just reread what u said jordo,heavy breathing and not eating is a good sign,best of luck
Yeah, she's basking all day long as well but I'm still not sure she looks fat enough.

As with to seperate or not, studies have shown that some egernia skinks (whites and cunninghams) can recognise their kin by smell and they mate with the least related partners in the colony. So pressumably they would know who their kids were. You wouldn't think it'd be a problem if kept well fed but being in captivity is always a bit different with no room to escape if they need to etc.

she wasnt much bigger then she is now she didnt seem to lose much condition. she went off her food about two weeks ago but still ate a little then last week totally off her food then yesterday smashed down 12 adult roaches.
i have read that changing their diet from predominantly veges to insects can simulate spring and breeding time, dont know if it helped or not but i tried it.
i have separated them not worth the risk when i have spare tanks around, and feeding would be a pain otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back