Giving pit bull owners a bad name

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Attacked by toy poodle- couple of stitches, at worst.

Attacked by pit bull...

toy poodle gets put down and not banned.

pit bull attacks and gets put down and banned.. I can see what your trying to say the damage a pittie can do compared to a ankle biter far out ways it but it's still the dog not the breed.

More people die from car crashes each year then every breed of dog put together do we ban cars?

Actually there was a fatality attributed to a toy poodle either last year or the year before, toy poodle killed an infant over in the US somewhere. I can't remember all the details though.

I don't actually have a problem with aggressive dogs, all dogs can have their problems. I have a problem with BADLY MANAGED dogs. For example, one of my boys has huge fear aggression issues. Not something to be taken lightly with any dog, but he's 40+kg, so that goes double for him.

In all other respects he's a fantastic dog, well behaved and extremely tolerant. My partner's son accidentally hit him over the head with a cricket bat hard enough to make him bleed (and it was an accident, I saw it happen) and all he did was yelp and lick him on the knee. He plays so gently with my ferrets, and yet will lose his **** if he sees another dog or person while out walking.
I have established that he will NEVER be off lead in a public place, and I work with him in that respect. He is getting better, but I refuse to muzzle him in public because it just makes him nervous, and that doesn't help the situation at all. And, if everyone else is doing what they're supposed to do, he won't need muzzling.

I cannot stand it though, when I walk through the park with him and without fail, some idiot will have their (usually small, white, fluffy and aggressive/dominant) dog off lead and out of control. Said dog with a death wish comes charging straight at us, with it's owner yelling "it's okay, he's friendly", from 50 metres behind it because they can't control their fluffbag, when the dog is a) not under control and b) clearly NOT FRIENDLY! Because regardless of whether my dog is on lead right next to me, if the little ****bag gets in his face and ends up losing a head, it's my fault, because he's a big dog. I'm so over people not being able to control their dogs!!! These days I've taken to yelling "That's great! Mine's NOT!" I know it's probably not the best way to handle it, but you'd be amazed how much quicker they move! And bloody kids and their bloody parents!!! NO, it's not okay to go pat the doggy without asking first unless you think your little precious was born with too many hands!!!

Sorry, slightly off topic rant over now.

Actually there was a fatality attributed to a toy poodle either last year or the year before, toy poodle killed an infant over in the US somewhere. I can't remember all the details though.

I don't actually have a problem with aggressive dogs, all dogs can have their problems. I have a problem with BADLY MANAGED dogs. For example, one of my boys has huge fear aggression issues. Not something to be taken lightly with any dog, but he's 40+kg, so that goes double for him.

In all other respects he's a fantastic dog, well behaved and extremely tolerant. My partner's son accidentally hit him over the head with a cricket bat hard enough to make him bleed (and it was an accident, I saw it happen) and all he did was yelp and lick him on the knee. He plays so gently with my ferrets, and yet will lose his **** if he sees another dog or person while out walking.
I have established that he will NEVER be off lead in a public place, and I work with him in that respect. He is getting better, but I refuse to muzzle him in public because it just makes him nervous, and that doesn't help the situation at all. And, if everyone else is doing what they're supposed to do, he won't need muzzling.

I cannot stand it though, when I walk through the park with him and without fail, some idiot will have their (usually small, white, fluffy and aggressive/dominant) dog off lead and out of control. Said dog with a death wish comes charging straight at us, with it's owner yelling "it's okay, he's friendly", from 50 metres behind it because they can't control their fluffbag, when the dog is a) not under control and b) clearly NOT FRIENDLY! Because regardless of whether my dog is on lead right next to me, if the little ****bag gets in his face and ends up losing a head, it's my fault, because he's a big dog. I'm so over people not being able to control their dogs!!! These days I've taken to yelling "That's great! Mine's NOT!" I know it's probably not the best way to handle it, but you'd be amazed how much quicker they move! And bloody kids and their bloody parents!!! NO, it's not okay to go pat the doggy without asking first unless you think your little precious was born with too many hands!!!

Sorry, slightly off topic rant over now.

I completely agree with you there, my dog has little dog syndrome but only around small dogs, she's great around big dogs but because I haven't paid to have professional training I'm not game to let her off lead I our dog parks here. She's a black lightning bolt when she sees someone she wants to play with.
And I was so crappy the other day wheels I'm waiting to cross the road an I turn around a small kid has his face in my dogs face! Then the mother gave me a death stare when I told the kid not to do it and pulled my dog away! Like are you kidding me!? Gaaah!

While*

im sorry but i got to lol at the people that keep saying they didnt pay a professional dog trainer to train there dog its not hard at all very time consuming tho if you have a hard head dog. my father was a dog handler for the cops showed me alot of things but really you can train a dog with just your voice and your hands and honestly if you don't have time to train your dog you should have never of got it becoze if you don't have time to train it you dont have time to spend with it

hows every one feel on back yard breeders i herd theres talk of a new law geting passed that cross breeds will not be able to be sold legally any more unless they have papers and chipped to stop back yard breeders stop the pounds getin field up with loveing dogs with no owners that well get put down what are your thorts people

im sorry but i got to lol at the people that keep saying they didnt pay a professional dog trainer to train there dog its not hard at all very time consuming tho if you have a hard head dog. my father was a dog handler for the cops showed me alot of things but really you can train a dog with just your voice and your hands and honestly if you don't have time to train your dog you should have never of got it becoze if you don't have time to train it you dont have time to spend with it

hows every one feel on back yard breeders i herd theres talk of a new law geting passed that cross breeds will not be able to be sold legally any more unless they have papers and chipped to stop back yard breeders stop the pounds getin field up with loveing dogs with no owners that well get put down what are your thorts people

I'm confused: are you laughing at people who did pay a trainer, or people who didn't pay a trainer?

I've trained several dogs in the past on my own, and worked through their issues etc. Not all dogs can be trained in the same manner though, and some people have difficulty with this. Personally, with Thundercleese, I reached a point with his fear aggression where I was getting too frustrated with the situation to be able to see it clearly, and getting a professional behaviourist in to help me objectify the situation really made a huge difference. I already had all the necessary skills to do it, I just had to remember to utilise them, and basically remember how to communicate with my dog in a high-stress situation. It's easy to get to that point though, because when the methods that you are used to using fail, it makes you question your skills as a handler, which in turn decreases your confidence, which makes the dog more nervous and so on. So getting a professional trainer to assist isn't just for those without time.

As for backyard breeding, I think it's wrong to breed ANYTHING only for money, except maybe insects. For example with reptiles: I don't have an issue with breeding being the main/only source of income, but I believe that it should start with passion for the animals.
I personally think that any dog sold on limited or no reg, or even show quality animals that are definitely not going to be bred from/shown, should be desexed before selling. I understand that some people are responsible and just prefer to have an entire animal, but unfortunately the idiots en masse we call society have ruined it for the responsible few. I don't think they'll get any laws passed like what you've mentioned, it's just fartoo grey an area with not enough of a public outcry. And for the record, crossbred dogs cannot have papers. If they have papers, it's a pedigree. If it's not a pedigree, it's probably a mongrel.

I trained her with basic commands wen I got her at six months but I am no professional dog trainer myself and she hasn't had the social experience as other dogs have had trough puppy school. Anyway, I'm glad I made you laugh with my lack of professional dog-training skills :)

When* through*

sorry most times i hear i havent had a professional dog trainer train my dog it normally means it dont listen at all it dos what it wants i can see its not the case here as you said u trained her with a few commands

and disintegratus just the professional dog trainers all together they realy are not needed i think but at the same time i call my dad if i get stuck on training dogs for mates or my own so i gess its prity much the same sorry i just get so pissed off with people me n my partner are always trying to find dogs on the kill list at pounds a new home and when people dont care anuf to teach there dog not to jump sit all the ezy basic commands it realy makes it hard to save these dogs

i dont realy think it would be passed and you can get papers for mixed breeds if its for hunting pigs but i realy do think something needs to be done about these mixes no one wants and they and up at the pound and dead

I agree that some people almost expect dogs to train themselves, which is pretty abysmal. I think that professional trainers are necessary in some respects, because not everyone has access to someone who is basically a professional trainer like you do. I would count myself very bloody lucky if I were you!
And I hear your frustration, I'm the same, I get so mad at people when they do stupid things like wanting to breed their x-bred mutts just to sell the pups. I don't save dogs from pounds, but that's only because we've got 3 large dogs already, and my sister would kill me if I brought home any more. I do intend to though, when we sell this place. My partner already knows he doesn't get a choice:D

I didn't know you could get papers for piggers, I assume it's like a pedigree, except that pure breeding doesn't matter, how good they are at hunting does instead?

I think to curb pound numbers, everyone who dumps a dog at the pound because "we're moving house", or "having a baby", or "don't have time for him anymore" should be forced to stay there while they put it down. and if they do it again, should be forced to give them the needle themselves. Most people who do things like that either don't realise or don't want to face the reality that they're giving their dog a death sentence. I know that sometimes people genuinely have to give up their dog, but most of the time that's not the case. They just can't be bothered and see them as disposable. It really sickens me.

On a side note, My big boy (with the fear-aggression issues) came from pig hunting stock. My sister's got a miniature pig, and one morning she didn't close her bedroom door while the dogs were being fed. he barged in, shoved his face in Thundercleese's bowl right underneath him. So Thundercleese responded by laying down and crawling backwards til he was out of the way, he just looked at me and whined til I saved him from the big scary pig that weighs all of 4kg. I think I should call the people I got him from and tell them to tear up any papers they might have...

Disintergratus;-Most people who do things like that either don't realise or don't want to face the reality that they're giving their dog a death sentence. I know that sometimes people genuinely have to give up their dog, but most of the time that's not the case. They just can't be bothered and see them as disposable. It really sickens me.
I agree whole heartedly. when I was breeding hunting dogs, I had a 2 year waiting list on my Pups. They were only sold/given to select hunters never to the general public(why? because they were "working" dogs) I did bend the rule once and sold to a Lady on a property as the pup "chose" her she was quite mature in age however had experience in handling large dogs etc this dog became her protector and best friend they were inseparable :) 2 years ago I was in the situation of not being able to keep my 2 little foxies(had to go nurse my ill Father) I was devastated.... I did the only thing I could, personally find new home for one and the other was 14 years old and the vet advised due to arthritis and a few other complications to put her to sleep(I was with her till the end) it was sooo hard, but they were MY responsibility. I hate this "throw away" mentality so many people have, I think is way past time for them to have to be held accountable for their actions even when it gets down to "untrained/unsupervised" animals again it's not necessarily the breed as a whole, but people who are to blame.....

Last edited:
yeah i agree with ya's my bull arab got out 2 nights ago in the storm wial i was at a herp meeting (only resone he wasnt with me) i havent realy sleeped the only time i have it was out the front hopeing hed come back im lost i dont know what to do as if said b4 hes my best mate comes every where with me even used to come to work with me iv gone to all the pounds even right out passed where im from hopeing the vets even narelan police station are helping me because i called em thousand times baling my eyes out if any one sees a dog nere mt annan please let me know he was last seen runing in to the chinese restrunt to hide under a table in mt annan

yeah i agree with ya's my bull arab got out 2 nights ago in the storm wial i was at a herp meeting (only resone he wasnt with me) i havent realy sleeped the only time i have it was out the front hopeing hed come back im lost i dont know what to do as if said b4 hes my best mate comes every where with me even used to come to work with me iv gone to all the pounds even right out passed where im from hopeing the vets even narelan police station are helping me because i called em thousand times baling my eyes out if any one sees a dog nere mt annan please let me know he was last seen runing in to the chinese restrunt to hide under a table in mt annan
jesus Jesus I wish you would learn to spell I don't know what you are on about half the time

I agree, but I hope you find your dog. Don't forget to call everywhere, every day, because different staff work, and they might not get messages passed on etc. And call everywhere you can, shelters, pounds, vets, even pet shops within about a 30km radius, dogs can travel a long way, especially if they're frightened or in unfamiliar territory. If you call somewhere that has a dog similar to yours, go check it out anyway, because sometimes they get it wrong. I lost one of my ferrets once, years ago, I called the RSPCA, who said they had a white ferret there. I went down, and sure enough, it was my sable boy.

yeah well i do me best you try been in a disabled classes when you where at school you dont lern **** except your different id love to be able to spell

Last edited:
The only pit bull that should be banned....

pitbull-799.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back