Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at first I thought corky posted the pic thinking it was a branchialis but was not entirely sure and my posts were directed at confirming it was one this was perhaps a misunderstanding by others that I was referring to branchialis as to what frog4364 saw which was not what I was saying at all.

LOL, I'm a little less confused now

- - - Updated - - -

Anyhow Frog 4364 I'm 99% sure you saw a Western Blue tongue I went through my photo's only to find I haven't re photographed it since my hard rive crashed so I'm going to go and try and find one now.

Just in case anyone else is confused. I didn't for one second try and argue that the C. branchialis posted by corky was T. occipitals.

Well at first I thought corky posted the pic thinking it was a branchialis but was not entirely sure and my posts were directed at confirming it was one this was perhaps a misunderstanding by others that I was referring to branchialis as to what frog4364 saw which was not what I was saying at all.

To clarify, the pic was more a reference for the OP rather than the culprit needing identification in the first post.

Good on you for helping out though.

Yeah sorry everyone for creating a misunderstanding. Getting back on track I am definitely open to the possibility based on frog4364 descriptions that he/she did see a Tiliqua occipitalis but can't be entirely accurate without a pic.

Last edited:
I wrote this yesterday but had trouble but ran out of time to post it…

Now that I have realised my mistake and had time to think about more, I would say that Elapid 1 is more than likely correct.

Visual descriptions are difficult under the best of circumstances, let alone when you only get a fleeting glimpse. The use of relative (rather than absolute) terms, such as “slimmer”, “similar”, “very short”, “not as fat”, “not triangular” are all open to your personal interpretation. If we go with size being equivalent to an average adult Bobtail, there are only two lizards that will match and neither are Cyclodomorphous – they are the Western Bluetongue (Tiliqua occipitalis) and the King Skink (Egernia kingii). King Skinks are quite dark ain colour and either plain or flecked all over with lighter markings. Western Blueys can have their brown bands broken up on the back to form odd shapes. Their ground colour can vary from really light tan to fairly dark (including olive like). King Skinks tend to bolt in a fairly straight line and are remarkably quick. WBs are much slower and tend to scuttle and bend the whole body sideways when in a hurry, particularly when on a loose substrate.
T occipitalis 1.jpgT occipitalis 2.jpg

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back