Goannas are a Man's Best Friend

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
You see lots fo threads where people ask "what is the best first snake" or "what is the best first lizard". Many replies are from people who have one or two of a particular species and give advice as to the character fo that species in general.

so....... following on from that I have worked out (from my own experience with three of them) that Lace Monitors are the ideal first lizards because they have wonderful temperaments, eat well, dont get bothered by cats and never bite. I highly recommend them.

Attachments

• IMG_3306.jpg
    IMG_3306.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 303
Geez thats great to see, the only time mine does that is when he wants to bite your face off!!!

Great pics Pete! I will have to come around for a cuddle (from the lizard). I will remember this thread when the next person asks me- "What is the best first lizard for my 10 year old?"
Wendy

For some reason i dont trust goannas near my neck, but it looks like you get along well :)

fantastic shot mate! wth out a dount one of the most amazing animals you could ever keep. i only hope mine turns out like that in the future.

here is a pic of the little one, 18 months old and about 2ft total length. not bitey or agressive, little easy spooked but will grow out of that.... after sitting at 40 for a few hours though bit to fast to handle. will def be getting more in the near future hopefully.... highly recomend them.

sorry its a bad pic

Nick, my other two are able to be handled but less likely to sit there for a photo. I can hand feed the big one OK and the Bells but the smaller male is ballistic with mice. Mince is fine. I will point out however that although I CAN hand feed them I dont. Dave Kirschner has many stitches as a result of a feeding response from his big male that is also a very tame lizard.

And no Justin, Patty doesn't frequent APS so I am OK.

Awww Pete that is just too cute :D How gorgeous are those lizards of yours. I want one :D Oh, and that guy in the pic is a nice looking fellow too.

So Pete are you suggestion a lacy is a great first lizard?

I have ordered a spiny tailed monitor from a Coffs Harbour breeder. He has eggs in incubator due in about 3 weeks. I so can't wait :D

Last edited:
hehehe Its not tame, its paralyzed with embarassment by being put on that Blues Jersey :)

Nice pics, a tame monitor is very cool :D
Cheers
Adam

Kath, this post has a lot of sarcasm in it. I see lots of threads asking for the best first snake and people reply saying theirs is the best because their individual pet is a good one. A Lacey is almost certainly the WORST first lizard to own (assuming we are never allowed to have Komodo Dragons in Aus) as you can see from the psots made by other people who own them. A persons experience with a small sample of a species is absolutley no indication of how that species will react on the whole.

hehehe Its not tame, its paralyzed with embarassment by being put on that Blues Jersey :)
You got that right :lol:

I don't think I've ever seen a lacy that placid. Gorgeous critter (the monitor....don't you start with me boyo ;) ).

Hi Gorgeous critter. Mum and dad are just as placid. I think Dave Kirschner must also selectively breed for temperament

Lol, smartypants.

Shame we can't accurately predict future behaviour, I'd be happy to own them if I thought they'd be like that.

I believe there is a system for getting them like this. Bob Gleeson gets wild caught adult males that placid in days. I have three unrelated lacies and all are great.

my bigger 2 can be just like that,but i still dont trust them fully,as if they think food they can snap,lol and a bite from a adult is something i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy,ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back