Goblin's first day out!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

We've had a bit of rain in the New England area of late and this was her first foray outside for a few weeks. Happiness is a goanna in mud:)!

Attachments

• Goblin's mud bath 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    Goblin's mud bath 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Goblin's mud bath 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    Goblin's mud bath 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Goblin's mud bath 008 [1600x1200].jpg
    Goblin's mud bath 008 [1600x1200].jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Goblin's mud bath 010 [1600x1200].jpg
    Goblin's mud bath 010 [1600x1200].jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Goblin's mud bath 013 [1600x1200].jpg
    Goblin's mud bath 013 [1600x1200].jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 151
@ Sarah, It's a Bell phase Lace Monitor :) and a nice one to boot.

lol wallowing like a pig eeerrrr Goanna in mud lol ....

shes stunning, and thoroughly enjoying herslef, lol,...!! :p

wish i could like those pics more than once,...!!!

Great!! then i'll ask, how big do these fellas get? and are they hard to care for?

1.5M, though males can be larger and certainly bulkier, particularly in the South East. I've heard of an animal at a well know wildlife park in Vic of nearly 2M and 14kg's, but that would not be the norm. Not particularly hard to care for but they do require large accomodation and a hot basking spot of 50C+ (depending on size/age) and can be dangerous at feed times, so require some common sense when interacting with them. But don't let this put you off as the rewards are well worth any inconvenience. In my humble opinion, THE most rewarding reptile to keep if your after something with a bit of intelligence.

IV, can they be friendly (aside from at feeding time)?

IV, can they be friendly (aside from at feeding time)?

Certainly can, though I'd probably describe them as independantly interactive rather than "friendly". I'm able to carry my animals around the house and move them to their outside enclosure on my shoulder (while wearing a goanna proof jacket), but I've rarely picked them up like you would a bluetongue/ Bearded Dragon to avoid initiating a threat response. Certainly I'd say your able to build up a level of trust over time, if you are able to refrain from handling them too much when they're small and vulnerable and let them initiate any contact. Even feed times they can sometimes be very calm, but I still keep a wary eye out, use forcepts and don't anticipate the same behaviour at the next feed. I like the term "food brain" to describe their feeding response:)!

He's gorgeous Richard. Is this the same one that was attacking your computer a couple of months back? Nice info too. It's obvious guys like you and David love these animals

Thanks Sax,

Yes, same animal, though now a female, not a male:)! I reckon anyone with a genuine interest in reptiles could not fail to have these as one of their faves (if not their favourite). I've moved states and changed jobs/houses because I missed keeping Lacies and these would be the last animals I'd ever part with. You'd probably find most dedicated varanofiles would tell you the same thing, though I may be a bit of a nutter:)!

Nice bells! Is she kept outside permanently or just on the nice sunny days?

Nice bells! Is she kept outside permanently or just on the nice sunny days?

Ditto, Mr James, a very attractive animal you have there:)! Only on warm days, which are few and far
between ATM in the New England.

IV, thank you for all that wonderful info! They are a truly spectacular animal.

I would love to have one, but i think living in rentals it would be impossible atm. Plus id like to get a bit more experience first!

My pleasure:)! Ackies/Gillens are a great place to start, similar husbandry parameters and can be housed in standard reptile enclosures if your after some varanid experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back