going away for 10 days, will the snake be ok?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLACkra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
well i am going to bermagui for a short holiday(10days). we leave tommorow. just fed the snake 3 pinkie rats. hes just under 3ft and around 10months old, hes a morelia bredli.

clean him out a couple days ago so his cage is nice and clean. also added a 2nd water bowl a 2L icecream container which is around half the way full. will that be ok?

this is really just a double check that i am doing the right thing: providing extra water and feeding me a slightly larger amount of food than he would normaly get.

andrew

mate it should be fine, as long theres a nice hot spot and cold spot, everything will be ok, even if the water runs out halfway through your holiday, im pretty sure nothing bad will happen but if your worried, get a mate to check up every couple of days...i went away for 10 days over chrissy and all mine were fine, water a little low on some but none the less, no problems

ok good. just wanted to make sure i hadn't forgotten anything.

nice to know he will most likely be ok

andrew

We went away over the New Years period (when it got to 45C here in Parramatta). We got home & there was some evidence that our 8-month old Diamond x Carpet had been swimming in his water bowl & that was bone dry when we got home but other than that he was fine. We were only away for 7 days & like you we fed him just before we left. I think Snakes are one of the most convienient & resiliant of pets (especially when it comes to leaving them on their own for a few days).

If water is available and obviously food isn't necessary for 10 days all I would be inclined doing is to turn the power off. It's just one thing that could cause a problem if isn't someone there to keep an eye on things.
This time of year regardless of where you are it wont get cold.

To tell you the truth, I'm more concerned about you, Andrew. Will you be ok spending 10 days without your snake? I don't even like spending one night away from my crew :(

I was gone for 7 weeks recently. Snakes were fine. Ten days is not a problem - they go for longer than that in the wild without food.

:p

Hix

yeh, i was just away for around 15 days. Snakes were all good...

Really if you are going away you should NOT of fed him. You can go away for 2 months as long as theres no food in the python and it will do him more good than harm. The only reason not to feed is so hes not groveling in poo while you are away. A few weeks, even a few months in most cases, without food wont hurt your pothon at all in fact as Ive said it will do more good than harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back