Goliath Stick Insect

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryony

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
guess what i am getting..........

Goliath Stick Insect!

yayness!
i know they are not herps....and they dont do much.....but they are so cool and facinating!

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Class: Insecta
Order: Phasmatodea (stick insects)
Family: Phasmatidae
Genus: Eurycnema
Species: goliath (Goliath stick insect)

some cool facts...
1. Their bodies, colour and shape made them look like part of the plant.
2. When staying motionless, they always put their front legs in front of their head, to made themselves look more like part of the plant.
3. They usually feed at night, during the day time they just hang motionless on the plants.
4. They eat the whole leaf, usually they do not leave part of the leaf uneaten, like most grasshoppers do.
5. Even when they move, they simulate the swaying motion, like the movement caused by the wind blowing.
6. Their eggs, called ova, look like seeds, so the predators do not notice the insect by the seeds.
7. They discard their dropping, called frass, very far away so that the predators do not notice the insect

and even way cooler

Note that you don't need males for breeding either- in the absence of males, the females will reproduce via parthenogenesis.

They're so cool bry! I'm getting really into a few diff invertebrates hehe... cheaper than herps, and sooo cool!! Cheers for the info :D

Not a problem matey!
I love some of the invertebrates, some are so interesting and easy to look after......and not needing any males is just great!
;)

they're cool Bry...always found them interesting since i was little :)

meh you all are crap :p
j/j
no one likes them but sam, PRC and me!
they are pretty damn cool if you ask me :p

when i was yunger i kept snails in a box, I had catapillers (untill they turned into butterflies or moths, and now I have bird eating spider, and will be getting a leaf insect soon i hope. i like bugs too.
:D
beleave it or not snails are pretty cool to keep. if you keep them in a dark box they are always doing somthing. I even had some breed. not a hugh aceivemnet now but at the time (i was 10) it was sensational. :lol:

LOL
I BREAD NATIVE COCKROACHES!
sorry caps....

but i think they are cool!
another fav hobby....and childhood past time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back