Got a Gammon?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpilotaFreak78

Reaction score
Since we have threads for all the other types of carpets, why not this niche of beautiful animals. I know a few people here have them already so go ahead and show them off.

View attachment 261804

Took my pair outside for some pics on the (rather brown) back lawn in Autumn. They are very placid large carpets. One of the things about them that some keepers still can't get their heads around with this form new to captivity is that these are not Murray Darlings. Genetic testing indicates that the Flinders Ranges form originated from the form of Morelia spilota sp. that occurs further west in the Eyre Peninsula region and their colour and pattern resembles this. The Murray Darling form ends its distribution in the Northern Mt Lofty Ranges around Burra and the Flinders Ranges form occurs as far south as the region east of Pt Pirie, there is no cross over. Vauge and outdated distribution maps don't help clear this up in the text books or websites. I roll my eyes when I see advertised "For sale: Gammon Ranges Murray Darling Carpet Pythons".

Thanks Ozzie for adding that, gives people something to read when they first open the thread. I wonder if the GRs are going to get their own scientific name or not?

What lines are your animals from. I mean most would have gotten them from SXR but do you know which animals of theirs they are from? I don't have any pics of mine yet other than SXR website stock pics, but my male is from Cleopatra's line and the female from Octavia's line, I don't know who any of the sires are.

My pair are from the first two clutches bred from wild caught pythons, my female from the first breeding and the male from the second. The original SXR male sired clutch two and a lady Julia owned the pair that produced clutch 1 (in association with SXR). Due to convoluted circumstances the original clutch was kept and hatched on a rural property 10 minutes down the road from me, and Julia took the clutch upon hatching for her kids to watch. Since then I had kept a few juvies from a breeding of two siblings from the original clutch 1 (nephews of my female) some of whom had some lovely brick red in their colouration. My female bred once before with a borrowed male when owned by another keeper so will be interesting to see what is produced when my pair breed this spring.

I saw that the male I'm getting has a lot of red just on his head, is that normal for Gammons, to have this red throughout their colouring, along with the silvery browns?

Your lucky to have a male that is going to redden up nicely, as some are very nicely coloured this way. My adult pair are black and brown so hoping some of the offspring express the high red colouration.

One of the most beautiful Carpets in my opinion :)!

Jamie

Got my boy a few weeks ago, was told his parents were from the first and second clutches produced. He's about 18mths old. Have to convince the other half he needs a girlfriend .
7a319158-588c-c532.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back