govt to ban import of exotic fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrodarknessanny

Reaction score
there was a thing in our local new papper today, there is talk that the deparment of enviromental protection or some other govement mob, is planing to bring in a ban on all exotic fish species,
if passed would most definatly screw a lot of pepole out of jobs, severly mess up the industry and advercly affect the econimy,

as almost all the whole sellers import the majority of there stock.
wounder if any one know any more.

i know if passed it will send the price of many commonly avalible fish now skyrocketing, and many more fish will disapear compleatly from our trade.

Sounds like a great idea to me

there was a thing in our local new papper today, there is talk that the deparment of enviromental protection or some other govement mob, is planing to bring in a ban on all exotic fish species,
if passed would most definatly screw a lot of pepole out of jobs, severly mess up the industry and advercly affect the econimy,

as almost all the whole sellers import the majority of there stock.
wounder if any one know any more.

i know if passed it will send the price of many commonly avalible fish now skyrocketing, and many more fish will disapear compleatly from our trade.

yer the fish trade will hit rock bottom
all the common tropical are non aussie ie the guppys and mollies and silver sharks
most of these fish can not survive in the wild because of temps and needing certain foods.
also they will never get rid of all of these fish because one fish can lay around 2000( dependent on what fish and give or take a bit) eggs a year making it almost impossible
im all for making people responsible for their pets wether fish reptiles birds dogs ect
i keep tropical fish at home and not one has been flushed down the toilet or thrown out side making it possible for other animals to eat it all my dead fish (5 in 2 years 3 of wich were new borns) have been incinerated and the other fry have been given to people whp feed them to their captive animals.

Why not ban the import of exotic fish? The reptile imports are banned. Why allow fish? Why allow birds? Why allow dogs? Where do you draw the line?

Maybe it will create jobs? Fish breeding centres, local jobs, may be a good thing.

There is a lesson to learn for all herpers - make sure your animals will never be released to the wild, especially in places where they don't belong.
The reason for banning exotic fishes is because irresponsible aquarists (and kids) released dozens of exotic species in their hundreds into our creeks and rivers. North Qld waterways are dominated by Tilapia and other species, pushing out our native species out of existence. Don't blame the government, blame the idiots in the hobby.

great idea jason. get rid of those crops that farmers rely on? that could help. Where do you draw the line on what we can have in here, you can't simply say nothing exotic fullstop.

Well said Waterrat.

There is a lesson to learn for all herpers - make sure your animals will never be released to the wild, especially in places where they don't belong.
The reason for banning exotic fishes is because irresponsible aquarists (and kids) released dozens of exotic species in their hundreds into our creeks and rivers. North Qld waterways are dominated by Tilapia and other species, pushing out our native species out of existence. Don't blame the government, blame the idiots in the hobby.

Don't blame the government, blame the idiots in the hobby.

The government is/has been a problem too, they still introduce trout, have previously introduced gambusia and allowed imports of problem species.

Quite right too, no-one should keep these exotics. As has been said before if you want exotics move to where you are allowed to have them. ;)

Quite right too, no-one should keep these exotics. As has been said before if you want exotics move to where you are allowed to have them. ;)

What? Exotics? Put you helmet on and crawl under the bed. LOL

Come on Boa are you just trying to start a fight here? You can't be serious. What's the issue with keeping a GTP in Victoria for instance. There is no chance of them escaping and establishing a wild colony.

I'm not going to get dragged into an argument, but I'm sure many people will feel the need to express their opinion on this issue.

I don't think Boa or I were serious about any of this. Cheer up.

LOL, ok sorry didn't read the thread properly. I should be studying anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back