govt to ban import of exotic fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry Anouc, just some harmless banter between myself and Michael. :)

And just like they did to the herpers who kept exotics, they should go and find anyone keeping exotic fish and take their pets... why should fish keepers get it easy? If I can't have a green anaconda then you shouldn't have your exotic fish lol

And just like they did to the herpers who kept exotics, they should go and find anyone keeping exotic fish and take their pets... why should fish keepers get it easy? If I can't have a green anaconda then you shouldn't have your exotic fish lol
Where does it stop? Cats, dogs, birds the list goes on...... Personally I'm all for Australian pets for Australians. But that's never going to happen...... For starters WA doesn't even want us to keep native animals :rolleyes:

I agree snowman, we should all get our kids dingo's for dogs and possums for cats ;)

Bandicoots are wonderful pets for children. They teach them respect towards animals very quickly. Cats an dogs don't have that talent.

Seriously though. Banning the importation on some or all ornamental fish is down out right ludicrous! Many people will be out of jobs, from the humble kid that cleans fish tanks at an aquarium to the AQUIS inspector that clears fish coming into a quarantine facility! This is a hobby that has been in Australia for a long time, a far bigger hobby than reptile keeping!

Fish are inspected twice when coming into the country and released from quarantine, certain fish have various time frames they have to remain in quarantine, and more 'disease' susceptible fish remain longer, i.e. 21 days. Most fish diseases are able to be checked through a microscope and treated with various medications, there are I believe to be 2 diseases that can 'slip through the system' these can affect most fish species but are more susceptible to gourami's species, as far as I am aware these 2 fish diseases can be picked up if %5 of the imported fish are euthanized and dissected the disease can be found.
Fish keeping is a fantastic hobby for the young and old and I like a lot of herp’s kept fish long before I started keeping reptiles.

dottyback, I agree with you but this is nothing to do with quarantine or diseases - it's about stupid people chucking unwanted fish into our waterways. Stupid soft-hearts who can't bring themselves to euthanise their unwanted fish, instead they give them "an opportunity to live" in a local creek. How can we quarantine stupidity?

I have to agree with Waterrat on this one, you should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

-Public servants/bureaucrats in so called conservation departments often love kicking animal keepers whether they be reptile, mammal or fish keepers.
-While they themselves are part of a system that allows the release of millions of feral predatory fish (trout) a known threatening process, into our waterways.
-I think the federal police might have something to do with the ban, however, as I found out in a book called the "Lizard King" that other much more illegal things come in with the fish.

dottyback, I agree with you but this is nothing to do with quarantine or diseases - it's about stupid people chucking unwanted fish into our waterways. Stupid soft-hearts who can't bring themselves to euthanise their unwanted fish, instead they give them "an opportunity to live" in a local creek. How can we quarantine stupidity?

I totally agree. I shudder at the thought of anybody deliberately releasing exotic species.
Sometimes being soft hearted also makes you ignorant to the bigger picture.
People can understand that they've given their "pet" freedom but don't understand impact their "pet" has on native ecosystems.

EEkk I better sell off all my fish... anyone got a few albino olives for sale? swaps?

The Noxious list has been geting bigger each year.. Most aquarium people have knowen this will happen for a wile now.

of course, by doing this... exotic fish will be much more valuable... so the government will be giving exotic importers a bigger range of products to sell on the black market (the most fun market in the world)

i havnt hurd anything about it myself but i dont watch but would deffinatly screw the chain pet stores and give alot more power to the smaller stores that already buy from local breeders. i breed fish for most of my teens already alot of money in it if ur willing to spend the time on it if something like that was to happen id have to replace the 50 tanks i got rid of sell a few kids for more space n start up again :D

EEkk I better sell off all my fish... anyone got a few albino olives for sale? swaps?

The Noxious list has been geting bigger each year.. Most aquarium people have knowen this will happen for a wile now.

i don't has a GAR ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back