Gravid or fat beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Chris, I have soil mixed with sand so she can definately burrow ok in it. She doesn't seem particularly stressed, but I have been a bit worried about how long they normally dig for so it's good to know that what she's doing is normal:)

At the start of this thread I mentioned that I also purchased another smaller female with the other two beardies & it turns out she is also gravid to

Wow you certainly got a bargain, if your clutches go well these 3 have pretty much paid for themself already XD. Best of luck with them!

As soon as you can feel the eggs, they are ready to lay, if they are 100% happy with what you have offered them to lay in, they dig once, and lay their eggs straight away, if they are not, they will test dig, when they stop test digging, that's when you worry.

Thanks Jason, is a sand soil mix usually ok for them to lay in or should I offer something else?

Thanks Khagan:)

OK 666 i figured that out aready

Red Eye Girl,
Dont be rude, your the one who asked the question, 666 oviously did'nt read the rest of the post which shows his wantingness to help you, if only every one was that helpfull on this site but then again this is a perfect example of why people arnt when they try and help and get a rude response.

Scorps

Just sand or sand soil is fine, what matters most is the size of the box, beardies like to dig deep to lay, the smaller the box, the longer they will hold.

Thanks Jason, I will top the box up tomorrow (she's sleeping now) so she can dig deeper & see if that helps. I'm using a huge tub so I don't think that will be a problem.

A simple way to tell when a Beardy is gravid is to hold ih up by the base of the tail so that it hangs in the air. The beardy will suck its stomach in and you can easily see the eggs protruding.
Ads

Thanks everyone, they are both definately gravid, I can see & feel eggs. I topped up both layboxs today but still no change. Both girls are definately acting a bit agitated today, climbing the glass constantly but not digging so I will keep a close eye on them. I guess their not quite ready yet. I don't know how you all cope with this, i'm a nervous wreck:shock::)

If you dig a tight hole about 30cm deep on a 45 deg angle, put the dragon in head first of course, hold it for a few seconds till it calms down, they will often start digging straight away, though don't keep repeating this if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back