Gravid ridgetail help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardmech

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My female ackie has eggs for the first time but she doesn't seem to be interested in making a nest. How long should it be between her becoming visibly larger and the eggs being laid? She is also having an issue with laying some too early, she left a few egg like things behind on her basking spot but they didn't appear to be properly developed eggs. Is there anything I should do for her or just leave her alone? She still gets up everyday, basks and then returns to her hide spot to sleep at night but she has stopped taking food.

What temperature is your basking spot at?
I think it's about 60c at the warmest spot, she seems to avoid the hottest part since becoming gravid her favourite spot would be around 40c-50c.

Temps seem normal after reading a care sheet (thought it was high at first). I would be providing the nest for her in the form of a damp lay box filled with sand or mixed with some vermiculite to help aeration. It should be around 15cm deep and placed in the cool end or no more than 31 celcius. That's the best advice at this time of the night till a monitor expert puts in his 2 cents worth. Good luck! And may you have healthy hatchlings

She passed away during the night. :cry:
I don't know if I should try and get an autopsy? It looked like there was some complication with her reproductive organs and she had an obstruction in her throat.

She passed away during the night. :cry:
I don't know if I should try and get an autopsy? It looked like there was some complication with her reproductive organs and she had an obstruction in her throat.

:( sorry to hear.

As soon as you started seeing problems I would have rushed her to a vet. You must be devastated but maybe next time you will know, because when they stop taking food its a pretty bad sign, and if infertile eggs are being laid randomly around the enclosure I would be very worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back