green tree snakes vs green tree pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something to be said here for differentiating vestigial 'venom' glands from developed glands.

In a Beardy it is suggested that there is a rudimentary (under developed) gland present, if I am understanding so far?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well I m probably not the best person to be asking as I was only asking myself but yes I have read that they have glands that no longer get used to produce venom I have also read a page or two that say they still have venom beinh made but lack a way to effectively inject it and that it is the venom that give of a throbing pain if you let a breaded dragon bite you . .the information I choose to believe is that they no longer produce venom I only choose to believe this because the site I read it on I deem more reliable then where I read the other but that is why I bought it up out of the hope someone would know the correct information and point me to the source

It is technically correct, just like it is technically correct that the earth is not flat. What's the use in dumbing things down for people? Better to teach them the reality of the situation than hide the facts so as not to scare them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm going to have a hard time explaining why people need things dumbed down without getting into a religious or political argument, so I'll just agree with you.

gtps aren't venomous, and i was told gts have a mild venom

It is technically correct, just like it is technically correct that the earth is not flat. What's the use in dumbing things down for people? Better to teach them the reality of the situation than hide the facts so as not to scare them.

Two reasons:

1) Despite the fact that I typically believe in education over prohibition and ... well, anything really. In this case you are likely to be dealing with an irrational fear based on a person's upbringing. And it's not only them, it's everyone that they're likely to (mis)inform with incomplete facts. The most likely outcome is that you are providing snake-haters with a reason to kill them.

2) Despite all my research in the past few years - and I've done quite a lot - I haven't been able to find anyone (or even a story about someone's mate!) that has had even the slightest reaction to a CTS bite.

green tree snakes a well as brown tree snakes are mildly venomous. I was also in disbelief of this fact when I read my field guide. I've now researched a lot and observed a fair bit and The fact is both species of tree snakes have venom, but this venom is harmless to humans. Will post pics of the field guide soon. As soon as I get time.

I've never seen anything have any reaction of any kind to a cts bite thats anymore pronounced than a reaction to being bitten by something else.
but hey, first hand experience and logic means nothing in the face of long winded scientific jibba jabba..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back