GTP - fact sheet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Jamie and I compiled this fact sheet to help those wanting to add a juvenile GTP into their collection.

Last edited:
Cheers Michiel, i think i will bookmark this, look forward to reading it :)

Such a fantastic effort Michael and Jamie,coming from 2 experienced people who have owned and bred these magnificent snakes for years,your input and knowledge is above par..It isnt rocket science to provide these pythons with the requirements they need,but once the requirements are meet,they strive just like any other python..One thing that bothers me is,SOME people dont-cant read or do ANY research before buying a reptile,just like a recent thread about someone buying a Green soon and needed to know all about them..Anyhow this needs to be a STICKY..so others can read it ANYTIME...Great stuff Michael-Jamie...

Thanks for the kind words guys, we are also thinking about compiling something on caring for yearlings and adults but then again, a lot has been already published on that. Do you think there is a need for something like that?

Great work Michael and Jamie, I know there is a lot of information already available through some fantastic books and articles, but for those who hate to read and love reptiles it's a good idea to have simplified care information available, especially through major sites such as APS and ARF. Well worth the time and effort, I'm sure many people will appreciate it.

Wow, this is great information. My husband was wondering that my new fella's tub looks too wet. I couldn't see anywhere in your information to suggest that you can have too much humidity. I read about not having the substrate absolute saturated but nothing about the condensation. So, providing its warm and not cold, is there such thing as him being too humid? I don't want him to go moldy lol

Last edited:
The main part I was trying to find isn't there.

Too much humidity can be detrimental. Not only it promotes bacteria and fungi growth but GTPs can get water blisters when exposed to high humidity. In the wild, they live happily in 90% rel. humidity environments BUT there is a constant air flow, which is hard to achieve in an enclosure whilst keeping high temp and humidity at the same time.

The main part I was trying to find isn't there.

which part?

Basic enclosure size for an adult.

It depends what you mean by "basic" - size, shape, material, furnishings? Minimum requirements?
This fact sheet deals with juveniles and if you read my second post in this thread .........

Michael and jamie. by far the most easy to read and understand fact sheet i have ever read. simple but imformitive. credit to you both.

Too much humidity can be detrimental. Not only it promotes bacteria and fungi growth but GTPs can get water blisters when exposed to high humidity. In the wild, they live happily in 90% rel. humidity environments BUT there is a constant air flow, which is hard to achieve in an enclosure whilst keeping high temp and humidity at the same time.
So what do you do for airflow?

A row of holes at each end of the container is sufficient - allows reasonsble airflow and keeps things humid enough between mistings, which I do every day with new hatchies, and after they're about 3 months old and shed 2 or 3 times, around every second day. The first one or two sheds are especially critical, and they become a bit more forgiving as they grow.

Jamie

I had inconsistent computer problems yesterday... I have to admit that this work is mostly Michael's, I just added a bit here and there, so... full marks to Michael for this great addition to the GTP body of knowledge!

Jamie.

Why? Isn't the text sufficient and clear enough?
I thought about including pics but then I though it would destruct from reading.

don't get me wrong but the text is perfect, pics would just brighten it up abit :)

destruct or distract??

No point in ruining it with photobucket pics that wont be there next week. Although it is in PDF format so the pics will stay intact... Yes put some pictures in....

Good effort guys.. now if we could keep GTP in WA we'd be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back