GTP good for first python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LulahMoon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love GTP's, they're stunning, but have heard some conflicting opinions about whether or not they're a good beginners python. I've had experience with carpet and diamond pythons - my dad has had many of both and I've lived with most of them but never FULLY cared for one myself.
I have done some research but want to hear from anyone who has had personal experience with GTP's.

Are they generally a friendly/placid species? (I understand that it ultimately depends on the individual python)
Are they good with a lot of handling? - Not excessively but it would be nice to be able to sit for a bit just holding her (I'm deff getting a girl :p) watching tv or something for eg. I've commonly heard GTP's are a "look, don't touch" snake but have also heard the exact opposite! So confused haha :S

Ultimately I am looking for a python that I will be able to hold and pet and I'm thinking a diamond python is really a better choice for that but my heart is just SO set on a GTP! And pythons are a lifetime pet, not something that you can just give away/sell and replace, so I do want to get something I'm 100% happy with. What are your thoughts?

I know GTP's are quite high maintenance in terms of enclosure and am very prepared to make a huge effort to accomodate one, so that's not so much a problem if you're concerned that I'm a beginner and will not want such a big responsibilty.

P.S. Of course I will be doing further research especially about enclosures, maintenance, feeding and prices etc. but any personal opinions/info from GTP owners/breeders will be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank youu :)

How beautiful are greens! Love em, but I can't get one as my first snake - just too much maintenance for me! Can anyone suggest a good beginners python that is similar in appearance to the gtp or with at least green in their scale pattern? I do love all pythons but for my own i'd prefer to have a rainforesty looking snake, just something not so deserty looking...haha may be a bit hard when you can only have aussie natives...australia is a desert and they're all trying to camouflage! lol :p

PS: When i was interested in getting a gtp (before I realised how much maintenance the enclosure is) i foudn this site really helpful, also check out the links at the bottom of the page!

Hahaha that's ok! Yeah saw that site, was very helpful thank you! So do you think you will get a Diamond then? I am definitely leaning towards it...my darling GTP may have to wait!

As jesus said, in NSW you need at Class 2 licence to keep GTP's. Go with the diamond, we've got a couple and they are great snakes. Plus every shed is awesome because you get more and more colour.

As jesus said, in NSW you need at Class 2 licence to keep GTP's. Go with the diamond, we've got a couple and they are great snakes. Plus every shed is awesome because you get more and more colour.

Jesus never stops amazing me with his prophecies... Did he say it from the cross?

(ps - I know where you got it from, it's ok, it's only a joke).

Here's a link about licensing for you:

Environment & Heritage | Getting an animal keeper's licence to keep reptiles

"The Class 2 licence is only available to people who are over the age of 18 years who have had at least two years experience in caring for Class 1 reptiles. Some of the species that can be kept under a class 2 licence include...."

So - you'll need to start yourself with the DP (or similar) for at least 2 years, and then upgrade your license and your snake :)

Hope that was helpful.

the simple answer is "no", the complex answer is no, they require a lot more than the easier snakes, and unless you've had the experience, you're taking a big risk on losing snakes needlessly.

best to take on something a little easier for a few years to get some hands on experience, then you can move up the scale. but, it's your money and heartache on the line.

I think given the amount of info available these days then from a husbandry point of view you could quite easily keep one as a first snake,however as has already been answered they are a class2 animal in NSW.

the simple answer is "no", the complex answer is no, they require a lot more than the easier snakes, and unless you've had the experience, you're taking a big risk on losing snakes needlessly.

best to take on something a little easier for a few years to get some hands on experience, then you can move up the scale. but, it's your money and heartache on the line.

I say yes if you want one and have the time to learn about them then yes get one greens are the only snake I have ever owned there not a difficult species to look after frankly I believe there Easter then most lizards. Only thing I digest is find a good breeder that is happy to answer questions and help I got my first Gtp from great snakes and he was wonderful also Bryce from Bfr reptiles is a great guy.

Cheers Brenton

Some people will be fine with a GTP as a first snake, others not... some people should NEVER have ANY snake :). If you have 'the touch' and someone to mentor you, both you & the snake will thrive. if you lack 'snake sensitivity' you probably shouldn't have any reptile.

Regardless of what you hear about handling however, they are far happier left curled up on their perches, so are not a 'pet' snake like a carpet of diamond. Br3nton's comments are pretty accurate - as long as you understand their needs, they aren't difficult to keep, and the only real difference is the need to add a bit of humidity occasionally - but the need for that for adult GTPs is often overstated anyway. Misting once a week is usually fine, with more at shedding time.

Not sure where "Easter" & "digest" come into it though Br3nton :).

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Lulah, I like your attitude and approach to the matter and it also helps that your dad can help you. The only bit I don't like is the idea of watching TV with a snake .... no snake deserves such punishment, especially watching Current Affair, snakes usually stop eating after such exposure. lol
Seriously, if the licensing wasn't a problem, I believe you would do well with a GTP.

I think if you have half a brain and take the time to make sure their basic needs are met then there is no reason a GTP wont make a good first snake.. Mine do not take much more effort than the antaresia and geckos I keep ..

Thanks everyone! You've all been extremely helpful. I think I'm going to research them some more before I make any decisions, but I'm leaning towards a DP. I think they are beautiful and I really want to be able to hold my pet python. Nothing's set in stone yet though! I'm also going to go visit some breeders and see what's available, talking to the breeders will probably make the decision easier too.
Thank you!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back