GTP tub. (Temps & Humidity)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tangy1

Reaction score
Hi All,
Currently I am playing with a tub in preparation for possibly purchasing a GTP. I am looking to purchase a yearling or older. At this stage nothing has been arranged or purchased just playing with getting things set correctly.
I have done alot of reading and research. Also asked alot of questions with keepers of GTP's. I am putting this up for other keepers opinions on my current set up.
Here are some pic's and I will below them add what readings I am currently getting.

I will be keeping it in a rack. In the first photo is the front view. I have 3 rows of heat cord at the rear and also a heat mat attached to the side of the rack as seen in photo 3. the tub has 6 holes front and rear 3 at the front and 3 on the sides.

I have built perches out pvc with the higher perch sitting over the heat cords and beside the heat mat. This is attached to pulse thermostat set at 33c.

At present there is alot of thermometers while testing to get a good gauge of temps in all areas. A couple of them will be removed once temps are right.

Ok I am spraying once a day in the morning. Humidity goes to 85% after spraying and slowly drops to 65-60% by the next morning.
The on the right rear the temps are 31 during the day and drop to 30 over night.
The temp on right hand side of rear perch gets to 30c during day and drops to 29c overnight.
The temp on left hand side of the rear perch gets to 29-30c during the day and drops to 28-29c overnight.
The temp on the far left hand side gets to 29-30c during day and drops to 28c over night.

The front perch where there is no heat gets to 27c during the day and drops a couple of degrees overnight.

Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 131
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 127
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 121
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 119
Looks great, but still a few things.
1. You need some leaves or something for it to hide behind because sometimes it causes the GTP to be scared and go to the ground become cold and die.
2. Temps seem great, but if you want to save power bills, then you can drop to as low as 26 at night for a yearling.
3. Just make sure there are no sharp edges on the PVC because you may cut you GTP if there is.

Apart from that looks great. When are you getting the little fella? Good luck, they are great fun!

Have not found one yet. Possibly looking at one this week. I'm just testing a tub to see I can get steady temps.
Greenery will come if I get one, just in the testing faze at the moment. But all looks good so far.

Last edited:
May sound like a dumb question but why keep one of the beautiful display animals on Earth in a lunch box??

Yearling or older would be perfect in a viv

Would prefer replies concerning the set up. Not a discussion as to why.

Last edited:
Those ive raised up or keep in tubs as adults are generally on 29 C on one end, i have one perch running length ways and caged ceramic heat emitters above on one end.
Enough heat penetrates through the plastic tops ,under are heat mats with wooden batons each end so there is a gap between the heat mat and plastic bottom of around 20 mm.
Everything is inside a cage so the heat circulates and is conserved, they heat up more efficiently and have great humidity which makes them really easy to keep.
Some here are in traditional setups but the heaters work over time and the humidity isnt as high so i have to really work at it or theres sloughing problems.

May sound like a dumb question but why keep one of the beautiful display animals on Earth in a lunch box??

Yearling or older would be perfect in a viv

I was thinking the same mate to be honest, its like keeping a Rolex in its box rather than on your wrist.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Those ive raised up or keep in tubs as adults are generally on 29 C on one end, i have one perch running length ways and caged ceramic heat emitters above on one end.
Enough heat penetrates through the plastic tops ,under are heat mats with wooden batons each end so there is a gap between the heat mat and plastic bottom of around 20 mm.
Everything is inside a cage so the heat circulates and is conserved, they heat up more efficiently and have great humidity which makes them really easy to keep.
Some here are in traditional setups but the heaters work over time and the humidity isnt as high so i have to really work at it or theres sloughing problems.

close off any ventilation at the top of the viv
make sure door closes tightly
heat and humidity rise
so doing that will solve both problems in vivs

Yeah I have nothing against you buying a GTP and keeping it in a tub. But honestly if you are goign to spend $1000 +++ on a snake, then you may as well keep it in a nice looking viv. If you just want something for future breeding projects that you can keep in a small Tub then go and buy a stimpsons. Once again your choice, but I disagree.

I someone wants to keep a GTP in a tub for whatever reason than it's their choice.Provided the animals needs are met who cares.

As to the setup and temps it looks ok to me for a yearling but a bit on the small side for an adult..One thing I have noticed with mine though is that they chase higher temps than others recommend.A lot of keepers say give them a hot spot of around 28/29C but I have found with mine that they seem to prefer keeping their body temps around 31/32C.

Last edited:
close off any ventilation at the top of the viv
make sure door closes tightly
heat and humidity rise
so doing that will solve both problems in vivs

Your talking rubbish, i dont have ventilation in the top of display cages and a just moderate ventilation on the sides,you have to open enclosures and thats what lets in the cool air around sydney particularly in the cooler times of the year unless you heat the room.
Just makes sense that the majority of keepers are going to grow up gtps in rack systems or tubs as the majority of the population in australia live in temperate climates not tropical.
Most people myself included like display cages but that wasnt what Tangy1 was asking in his question on husbandry.

I dont see that I need to justify or explain my choice of using a tub as it was not in my original post.
This setup is very temporary I am currently in the process of building enclosures. I never said or have the intention of keeping in a tub permanently.
Comments regarding the original post would be appreciated.
Cheers.

I dont see that I need to justify or explain my choice of using a tub as it was not in my original post.
This setup is very temporary I am currently in the process of building enclosures. I never said or have the intention of keeping in a tub permanently.
Comments regarding the original post would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Not in anyway saying you "HAVE" to do this. Still your choice. But honestly if you are building the enclosure and its temporary. Why not wait until you have the proper enclosure. Snakes aren't something to rush. Es specially not GTP's! Honestly if it was me I would wait. Once again your choice.

Your talking rubbish, i dont have ventilation in the top of display cages and a just moderate ventilation on the sides,you have to open enclosures and thats what lets in the cool air around sydney particularly in the cooler times of the year unless you heat the room.
Just makes sense that the majority of keepers are going to grow up gtps in rack systems or tubs as the majority of the population in australia live in temperate climates not tropical.
Most people myself included like display cages but that wasnt what Tangy1 was asking in his question on husbandry.

sorry, but last time i checked that was standard science. Maybe open your doors less?...

sorry, but last time i checked that was standard science. Maybe open your doors less?...

Way i keep them treeofgreen, i dont have vents at the top of cages or tubs, works well here.
You open the doors or sliding glass at the front as little as possible unless you have room heating down this way.
Small spaces heat up quicker that big ones, thats standard science ,which is why yearlings and the like are better off in small spaces like tubs and rack systems.
Nothing wrong with the setup tangy1 proposed for a yearling as most are pretty small anyway even older, around about 4 ft they are display cage size.

Way i keep them treeofgreen, i dont have vents at the top of cages or tubs, works well here.
You open the doors or sliding glass at the front as little as possible unless you have room heating down this way.
Small spaces heat up quicker that big ones, thats standard science ,which is why yearlings and the like are better off in small spaces like tubs and rack systems.
Nothing wrong with the setup tangy1 proposed for a yearling as most are pretty small anyway even older, around about 4 ft they are display cage size.

Yeah i agree about tangy1's setup, it shud be fine. Also his right and choice to keep it in a tub!

Maybe your issues with the display vivs are due to the room they are in? High air flow? No or ineffective insulation? Even down south, you should be able to keep a closed off room fairly stable. Thats assuming that you have them in a particular room and not in a bigger open space. Lots of variables...

IMO Was just unfair to quote what longqi said and call it rubbish, when it was correct, thats all ;)

Arrr Treeofgreen Mr Longii had the impudence to believe that i uncle zulu had air vents at the top of his enclosures without seeing uncle zulus setup, this is the stuff that led to the french revolution and heads rolling !

Don't apologise you are probably unaware that the UN passed a resolution yesterday changing the laws of Physics, I was going to contest the "talking rubbish" post but have only just found this out.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

hope you get the answer you are looking for plenty of breeders keep them in tubs no worries do what you want and dont worry about those that go of topic .

Anyone else have any thoughts on the gradients I am getting with this present set up?
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back